Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I appreciate your help!

Challenger gas tank is in the rear, not quite centered but close enough to reach from either side. F150 has a 37 gallon tank so shouldn’t need to fuel up often when towing and using to get around. I am NOT looking forward to trying to find stations I can get in and out of easily while towing an additional 22 or more feet of TOAD & towbar, but I know it’s all part of RV life.
I have a battery disconnect switch inside my toad with drive/tow that disconnect fuses that toad battery charged. Camping World installed. My invisibrake charges ny toad battery while towing so I don’t get to Campground with a dead battery.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #102

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Jeep Wranglers are very popular as toads because they are easy to set up for towing and they provide good off-road capability if you want/need that.

I'm always surprised at how expensive they are, though. Compared to most modern vehicles they are fairly primitive, without much new engineering and design. They are a basic metal box with a very basic suspension and steering design. The ride is rough, they don't handle very well, they are noisy, and they don't have a lot of modern convenience and safety features. They are cool and fun, but it seems like they should cost less than your typical entry-level compact SUV.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #103
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"It's a Jeep thing": you wouldn't understand...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #104

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Jeep Wranglers are very popular as toads because they are easy to set up for towing and they provide good off-road capability if you want/need that.

I'm always surprised at how expensive they are, though. Compared to most modern vehicles they are fairly primitive, without much new engineering and design. They are a basic metal box with a very basic suspension and steering design. The ride is rough, they don't handle very well, they are noisy, and they don't have a lot of modern convenience and safety features. They are cool and fun, but it seems like they should cost less than your typical entry-level compact SUV.
I've had the same thoughts. Now, the Grand Cherokee is a different animal entirely, with all the latest gadgets and features I'd expect in a modern SUV. The price of a well equipped Grand Cherokee and a nice looking Wrangler Rubicon are about the same, which really surprised me.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 PM   #105
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Those two Jeeps are built for entirely different purposes and markets.
My first Jeep was a 1945 MB, and over the years I've owned ten others.
The older "flat-fenders" were about like a goat: they could get anywhere that you dared to try. That ability comes at a cost...
The more "civilized" versions (CJs and Wranglers) were a bit more refined; yet they gave up a bit of the off-road skill-sets.
The Comanchees, Libertys, Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees were basically very pleasant bad-road vehicles... that you'd prefer to NOT get too deep into the really fun places...
Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #106

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
You’re good to tow. I got a blue ox with invisibrake that I tow with. Love it except when I need to refuel if I can find fuel with tanks parallel to road.
Which model Blue Ox do you have? I called Quality Bumper here in the Phoenix area, and they recommend the Blue Ox Alpha, and a Patriot braking system.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #107

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Which model Blue Ox do you have? I called Quality Bumper here in the Phoenix area, and they recommend the Blue Ox Alpha, and a Patriot braking system.
I use Blue ox Avanta (I tow a light car) and Patriot brake (not the Patriot 2 which is newest and different technology, I was told). I don't regret at all. The Patriot is light, fast to hook up, works well, has a remote staus display, and is adjustable wirelessly from the RV. They are a great company. They've called about every six months just to check that all is well.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #108

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"Jeep Wranglers are very popular as toads because they are easy to set up for towing and they provide good off-road capability if you want/need that. I'm always surprised at how expensive they are, though. Compared to most modern vehicles they are fairly primitive, without much new engineering and design. They are a basic metal box with a very basic suspension and steering design. The ride is rough, they don't handle very well, they are noisy, and they don't have a lot of modern convenience and safety features."

What better reasons to buy a Jeep!! This what I will tow...on a 16' trailer. There are no limits!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-18 14.16.39.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	14169  
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #109

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
The Doc Tari Jeeep!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #110

State: California
THOR #10044
What to Tow?

We currently tow a 2nd generation Jeep Liberty. (2008) It is more like an SUV than a Jeep Wrangler. Many of the modern conveniences and nice ride. A great multi-purpose vehicle. The base plate from Roadmaster fits in such a way it is nearly invisible. Prior to the Jeep we pulled a Smart Car. Super easy to tow, fun to drive, but space limited to two. With the Jeep we can comfortably seat the G-kids now.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #111

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Those two Jeeps are built for entirely different purposes and markets.
My first Jeep was a 1945 MB, and over the years I've owned ten others.
The older "flat-fenders" were about like a goat: they could get anywhere that you dared to try. That ability comes at a cost...
The more "civilized" versions (CJs and Wranglers) were a bit more refined; yet they gave up a bit of the off-road skill-sets.
The Comanchees, Libertys, Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees were basically very pleasant bad-road vehicles... that you'd prefer to NOT get too deep into the really fun places...
Right up there with you Bob. My first Jeep was a 46 model, have had 7 since then! Jeeps become more civilized with each new model, but, a Rubicon will go places most people won’t dare to venture, and with AC, a good stereo, and gps. Going wild with style and comfort!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #112

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"The Doc Tari Jeeep!"

Actually, a classic from the Ted Nugent Collection! Rare find..'89 with 68K miles. Just gotta get the wife to come around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181030_084653.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	14173  
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #113

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"The Doc Tari Jeeep!"

Actually, a classic from the Ted Nugent Collection! Rare find..'89 with 68K miles. Just gotta get the wife to come around.
Oops - that was Daktari. They always had lions in that show. That could be Cat Scratch Fever in Nugent speak.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 AM   #114

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
can't you you use a tow dolly? that's what we are looking at for our 2014 Ford Fusion. with brakes, the dolly with brakes should cover all the issues of brakes and magnetic light kits handle the lighting requirements so I'm told.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #115

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We tow a wrangler unlimited it’s the wife’s vehicle and she loves them as a daily driver. I think the main reasons why people chose them to tow are for serveral reasons. One the are super easy to set up and tow and that’s great. They really are a multi purpose vehicle, benefits of a convertible, room of an suv and the best off road capability of a stock vehicle. Comparing a wrangler to even it’s jeep cousin you might lose a few creature comforts but remember this is the vehicle you are towing that needs to be able to handle all situations. You are towing it and then driving it 300 more miles.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #116

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
THOR #11164
Does anyone here tow a Subaru Forester (2014-18) six speed manual?
If so, how does it tow?

Has anyone compared Roadmaster to Demco for tow bar set up?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Ole
Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #117
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"The Doc Tari Jeeep!"

Hey Don!
Don't forget the Motto for all Jeepers:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1549753477
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roll Me Over.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	15613  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #118

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I’ll be towing my Ford Focus...one good reason for choosing a Jeep Wrangler is that the tow bar will be at a reasonable height relative to the motorhome hitch. My Ford is going to be about 8 inches lower requiring a long drop hitch. I hate that!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #119

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
We started out pulling a 90 jeep 5 speed. Then went to a Ford Focus automatic. Well then I retired and bought a Cadillac SRX. I installed a blue ox adapter on front and went with a blue ox 10K tow bar. I also use the Rvi electric brake. I installed the electrical diodes for the tail lights to work with the motorhome. You must remove the shifter boot and press down on a release button to shift the transmission to neutral.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #120

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
We started out pulling a 90 jeep 5 speed. Then went to a Ford Focus automatic. Well then I retired and bought a Cadillac SRX. I installed a blue ox adapter on front and went with a blue ox 10K tow bar. I also use the Rvi electric brake. I installed the electrical diodes for the tail lights to work with the motorhome. You must remove the shifter boot and press down on a release button to shift the transmission to neutral.

Do you like the Rvi brake? Trying to decide between a couple of brake options.