Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
Question Where to get a baseplate/brake system installed

Hi all, I've been shopping around my local RV centers to install a toad-package on my car, and out of four places only one has gotten back to me with a quote. They say I have to buy everything from them, and they're charging on the high side for both parts and labor.

Other than RV centers, where else could I look to get the installation done if I decided to get the parts from eTrailer or Amazon? I don't think I have the skills or the tools to DIY.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Try trailer sales
Old 08-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #3

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
and Truck accessories stores - They supply hitches, tow bars, baseplates, brake set ups and do installations.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post
Hi all, I've been shopping around my local RV centers to install a toad-package on my car, and out of four places only one has gotten back to me with a quote. They say I have to buy everything from them, and they're charging on the high side for both parts and labor.

Other than RV centers, where else could I look to get the installation done if I decided to get the parts from eTrailer or Amazon? I don't think I have the skills or the tools to DIY.

Thanks!
Be advised, this thread will be hijacked shortly by all the self proclaimed self install experts that don’t care what you asked but rather believe they know more about your needs than you do.

Just a warning. It is about to happen.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Thanks!
Maybe check with ETrailer and see if they can install and make a road trip out of it. They may also have recommendations for shops in your area.

Check your Toad's manufacturer local dealer service department or body shop. The hardest part of the install is dealing with the front of the car - they should be experts on that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Be advised, this thread will be hijacked shortly by all the self proclaimed self install experts that don’t care what you asked but rather believe they know more about your needs than you do.

Just a warning. It is about to happen.
All it takes is a hammer, screwdriver and a few rubber bands!

Seriously though... if you're in/near a small town or community, there are usually several independent mechanics shops that may do that kind of work. The guy who works on my cars is familiar with those installs. I might suggest visiting a shop like that. If they can't do it, ask them to refer you to someone who might. In the world of mechanics, there's usually a network of people... who know other people... who know other people... eventually you hit the jackpot!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
where are you located?

i see texas...but thats a whole lot of country
what brand of vehicle and type? our edge required entire front fascia ot be removed for proper installation, where as the 22 f150 is just removing the tow hooks and its easy access.

camp world does them, but then you know
your brand of car dealer maybe a help as well

we could not find a good place i trusted so we did it ourselves .

but i am a mechanic, and have time and tools.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
There are at least 20 truck outfitter places in San Antonio. Skip the hacks at the camper dealers and try the local truck shops. Or head up to Spillar Custom Hitches in South Austin. Those guys do great work at a fair price.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:48 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
There are at least 20 truck outfitter places in San Antonio. Skip the hacks at the camper dealers and try the local truck shops. Or head up to Spillar Custom Hitches in South Austin. Those guys do great work at a fair price.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #10

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Maybe the product maker has a list of authorized installers?
Old 08-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #11

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I purchased all hardware and electrical wirings from Etrailer. The supplemental brake system that I picked, I purchased it from a local Camping World since they have them in stock and I got some discount.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #16806
Quote:

Thanks!
We used a professional trailer dealer to install ours three years ago. Took a couple of days because it was a new install on a new Jeep Gladiator but they did an excellent job!
Old 08-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #13
Jph

State: Alabama
THOR #17238
I’m not sure what system you’re considering but when I had my stay n play installed I went to demco’s website and got a list of local demo authorized installers. Found a small shop that did a great job. Good luck
Old 08-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
[QUOTE=ElectricZ;356768]Hi all, I've been shopping around my local RV centers to install a toad-package on my car, and out of four places only one has gotten back to me with a quote. They say I have to buy everything from them, and they're charging on the high side for both parts and labor.

I don’t know what part of Texas you are in, but we had our tow package installed by Johnson’s in Silsbee, Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/Johnsons-Up...0422485101715/
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #26120
Hi all, appreciate everybody's input. A local garage was the way to go, at least from a cost perspective. The chain RV store quoted me $5700 for a complete tow package where they supply the parts. The one I pieced together from etrailer.com and Amazon, installed by the garage comes in under three grand including labor.

Tow bar: Ready Brute Elite II. Went with this because of the built in supplemental braking system. $1300

Clevis pins for baseplate: $175

Roadmaster baseplate: $450

Breakaway cable: $100

Wiring kit for brake lights: $70

Labor for baseplate, wiring, and supplemental braking install: $400 (could go up, just an estimate)

Thought I'd be posting an update sooner, but because of supply issues, the Blue Ox baseplate I ordered was taking forever to get fufilled, so I jumped ship over to Roadmaster. My baseplate arrived today, and hopefully it'll be installed with the wiring and braking system, and I'll be towing for my next outing the last week of October.

Thanks again for the advice! Around $2500 for a baseplate install seems like a deal!
Old 10-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am having the Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar, wiring and Demco Stay and Play Duo system installed on my 2014 Ford Flex for $4500 plus tax. The install includes a 12 volt power supply Charge line from my coach to my Ford Flex to keep the battery charged up while being towed.

Paul

Tags
base plate, installation