Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   sumo springs (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/sumo-springs-11988.html)

krod 05-08-2018 12:04 AM

sumo springs

Has any one had sumo springs installed on a challenger coach? I have a 37yt and would like to have them installed if they help the ride and driveability.
thanks

Beau388 05-08-2018 01:46 AM

Sumo springs add to the leaf spring's stiffness in compression. So if you are hitting the factory bump stops on the big holes, the Sumos make a major improvement to the ride as the Sumos are much more progressive than the small factory bump stops. They also help on the leans (sway) increasing the force needed to compress the spring as well and resisting lean on the high side by the force need to stretch the Sumos (about 1/2 force need to compress the Sumos). If you are expecting a smoother ride on minor bumps, Sumos are not the answer.

steve76 05-08-2018 04:56 AM

What are you trying to accomplish with ride and drivability?

gauthig 05-08-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krod (Post 118981)
Has any one had sumo springs installed on a challenger coach? I have a 37yt and would like to have them installed if they help the ride and driveability.
thanks

I have a Challenger 37KT and put front/rear sumo springs. It feels like a different coach. The sway is much better than the CHF. The first thing you will notice is going off a driveway and turning.

I notice less movement from lite winds and trucks as they pass by. Long drives seen much more enjoyable.

It also helps quite down the ride of a normal freeway as I hear less rattles. But a bad road or dirt, not much change.

The last improvement, although slight, is when parked and levelers down it feels a little more stable when walking around the coach.

Overall I love them and would repeat. But you need to do both front and rear. I have heard very similar results with others but not so much when they only did the front.

foretm 05-10-2018 06:54 PM

Did you install them yourself, and if so any super special tools needed?

gauthig 05-10-2018 09:01 PM

Because of the drilling into the frame for the rear ones I decided to have someone else do it. I asked the dealer who quoted $400, 1hr labor at $100 per hour each. I then called a local tire shop who worked on my past rig and they did it for $225 total. Took them about 2 1/2 hours.

PaulH 05-11-2018 10:16 PM

I wanted Sumo springs for the front of our Axis, but couldnt get them here (UK) so i went for a similar thing by Timbren. They're Canadian and I could get them here, an hour fitted them and, so far, I'm very happy with them. Less roll, no bouncing and wallowing in dips and a slightly higher ride height at the front.

Warrant7141 08-02-2018 06:44 PM

I just had Sumosprings installed on my 2016 Thor Challenger 37tb. This modification really helps when a big truck passes. I immediately noticed it feels like I have more control at the wheel, especially when hitting pot holes and rough areas. So far, I think this was a wise investment of about $1,700 for from and rear Sumosprings installed.