Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   DRV Luxury Suites (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   OUCH, that left a mark (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/ouch-left-mark-17155.html)

rynosback 05-06-2019 09:55 AM

OUCH, that left a mark

1 Attachment(s)
This was posted on FB yesterday. Their suites disconnected from there tv at about 60mph around Houston on I-10. Luckily no one was hurt.

Fish and Dear 05-06-2019 09:58 AM

Dang...fortunately it seems to have just ground to a halt. I wonder what happened.

rynosback 05-06-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 180763)
Dang...fortunately it seems to have just ground to a halt. I wonder what happened.

It did not just grind to a halt, it hit the wall on one side of the highway and went all the way over and hit the other. It is totaled for sure. They posted up many more pictures.

The hitch failed. There is not a lot of information about it right now. I would assume it is this way for legal reasons.

Fish and Dear 05-06-2019 10:07 AM

It's obviously a total loss. From that photo it looked as though it may have just slid to a stop. By "fortunately" I meant no one was injured or killed by a careening and tumbling large RV.

dapperdan 05-06-2019 01:12 PM

VERY unfortunate situation. I wonder what actually caused the hitch to fail. I would agree, that trailer is totaled. How sad.......:cry: Fortunately nobody was injured.

There'll be A LOT of finger pointing before this matter is settled!

Dan

Bob Denman 05-06-2019 01:33 PM

:eek: That's a Big-Time "Ouch"! :facepalm:
What a shame... :nonono:

K0LCB 05-06-2019 01:40 PM

Whoa! That would sure ruin your dat

Fulltimer50 05-06-2019 01:45 PM

Where is the posting on FB?

MS60ocb 05-06-2019 02:11 PM

I can see from the picture that front ODS appears to have damage but I can't see the hitch damage. Was it the RV hitch of the TV Hitch failure?
Whats the best way to inspect the RV Hitch to Frame? The most important 4 feet it appears.
Clay 2016 38PS3

wingnut60 05-06-2019 10:38 PM

Story is mostly on DRV Owners Group on FB. Lot of comments, but trying to keep speculation to minimum, but apparently the hitch failed to secure the pin. Cause yet to be determined. Luckily, no injuries, could easily have been more than just material damage.
Hope they get back on the road soon.

Joezilla 05-06-2019 11:12 PM

They were using a Sidewinder on the hitch. That may or may not have contributed to the Reese hitch failure.

Not a good day for those folks for sure.

Joe

rynosback 05-07-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 (Post 180791)
Where is the posting on FB?

It is in the DRV Owners Group section.

DonandPatti 05-07-2019 01:28 PM

Sidewinder is a Pin Box

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joezilla (Post 180905)
They were using a Sidewinder on the hitch. That may or may not have contributed to the Reese hitch failure.

Not a good day for those folks for sure.

Joe

Joe,

I thought Sidewinder was a Pin Box - like the picture attached.

Don

wingnut60 05-07-2019 02:57 PM

Appears the pin box WAS a Sidewinder; no word on the hitch brand. Was said the HITCH failed, not the Sidewinder. Lot of details not shared as yet as surely they don't want anything to hamper a solution as to cause/fault.

DonandPatti 05-07-2019 03:21 PM

Pinbox / hitch

For sure. You can bet there will be all kinds of scrutiny from all different directions.

Hope it works out for the owner.

Don

Cummins12V98 05-07-2019 06:58 PM

I don't use FB. Could you post any pics that are kingpin/hitch related?

Looks like an Idaho Tote attached to the back of the RV. Motorcycle or ??? Missing.

Cummins12V98 05-07-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonandPatti (Post 181012)
Joe,

I thought Sidewinder was a Pin Box - like the picture attached.

Don

It is, and why the HE!! would anyone use that on a HEAVY DRV???

Highest rating I could find is 19k.

Note: Do not use the Sidewinder with any of the following:
Curt Q Series 5th-wheel trailer hitches
PullRite SuperGlide 5th-wheel trailer hitch
Reese Trail Boss 5th-wheel trailer hitch
B&W Companion 5th-wheel trailer hitches that mount in the Turnoverball gooseneck hole
Colibert 208BW 5th-wheel trailer hitch
Hi-Rise gooseneck-to-5th-wheel adapter by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Bulldog and Reese
Any other gooseneck-to-5th-wheel adapter

Bob Denman 05-07-2019 07:28 PM

The fact that it might have been a self-inflicted would; doesn't make it hurt any les... :nonono:

Walker 05-08-2019 02:08 AM

The truck hitch I believe was a Comfort Ride. Pics of the hitch show the jaws intact, but miss aligned. From other knowledge of the Reese Sidewinder, my guess is it failed. If the wedge block, that holds it locked in the truck hitch failed, it would allow the Sidewinder arm to come around and roll itself out of the hitch jaws. With a wedge block failed/moved, the arm could rotate both at the truck hitch and the trailer connection at the pin box.

dapperdan 05-08-2019 03:20 AM

I sure hope when all is said and done there's a follow-up or update as to what exactly failed! I'm not on FB but my wife is, she showed me the pics..... Those people have to be absolutely sick! That unit was a week and half old (if I read correctly)! Although "lucky" in that there were NO injuries!

From the pics I saw it appears as though the Side Winder was intact, the recovery company hooked to that pinbox to tow the (wrecked) RV away! It must've been deemed "safe" for them to tow it that way (just guessing).

According to the posts on FB their insurance company is going to "make them whole". That's going to be one heck of a claim! :eek:

Dan