Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Repair (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   2017 freedom elite 30fe resealing rv exterior molding (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/2017-freedom-elite-30fe-resealing-rv-exterior-molding-19990.html)

Thorfreedom 12-04-2019 04:07 AM

2017 freedom elite 30fe resealing rv exterior molding
 
what will be the best product i can use to reseal outside molding and edges on freedom elite 30fe. I see some cracks on clear silicon that came from factory around the slide and few other places. One piece of molding on top of wheel came off from wall of rv. Is there anything i can use to stick it back on wall. its time to do all edges but not sure what to use and how to remove old clear silicon without messing fiber glass. i will appreciate any help regarding what kind of silicon or caulking will be best to use.

Pete'sMH 12-04-2019 08:44 PM

Google “RV sealant” and you’ll find what you need. Generally, use self leveling lap sealant on roofs (Dicor is a leading brand name but there are others). On windows and sidewalls you can use a similar product but NOT self leveling so it won’t run. You also can use polyurethane sealant from big box stores on the sidewalls. This is really good stuff though it’s not especially easy to do neatly as it’s super sticky. General rule is not to use silicone on anything in an RV. Good for you being proactive on your sealing. Water is relentless and evil in our machines.

Thorfreedom 12-05-2019 12:26 AM

Thanks Pete for replying. My rv has currently clear caulk and i think it’s silicon which came from factory. I called Thor and they told me to use silicon. If I go with any other products like you mentioned, will it bond with old silicon. I will clean and prep as much as possible. I was looking to use sikaflex 505 uv. I will appreciate if you can suggest some particular product that has good results.

javelin 12-05-2019 01:10 AM

Hi, well I am very surprised Thor tech support suggested using Silicone caulk on your exterior window trims. Most RV folks recommend not using any silicone sealants at all.....but each to his own.



I have used Geocel Proflex RV caulking and it is sticky and "unforgiving" stuff to apply if you are not careful or experienced using it. If you try it practice on something else first before your coach. I found taping off the line area on both sides where you did not want sealant and using neoprene/rubber gloves a must with this stuff. Also a little soapy water in a small container at the ready to smooth the caulking run with a wet finger tip; and only do a couple feet at a time or by the time you come back to smooth it out it is already starting to skin over. I know folks on this forum that also use this caulk and swear by it......but I hate applying it.....just seems like the right stuff for RV's though. I am sure others will make recommendations.....there are those that apply easy but do they last in blazing sun and freezing temps? When you have water coming in something on hand to stop it now is better than doing nothing IMO (famous last words).



https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

Pete'sMH 12-05-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorfreedom (Post 214458)
Thanks Pete for replying. My rv has currently clear caulk and i think it’s silicon which came from factory. I called Thor and they told me to use silicon. If I go with any other products like you mentioned, will it bond with old silicon. I will clean and prep as much as possible. I was looking to use sikaflex 505 uv. I will appreciate if you can suggest some particular product that has good results.



Wow. I just don’t know about using silicone. In my experience not much sticks to it. I’ve always heard NOT to use it on an RV and I guess I’d try using the polyurethane stuff or lap sealant. I believe lap sealant is specifically made for RVs so maybe give that a try. Lots of people use the term “silicone” rather generically for any caulk (like calling any tissue a “Kleenex”) but you’d not think a Thor guy would make that mistake. I expect you’ll be fine whatever you use if you keep an eye on it going forward. Which you should be doing anyway. Good luck!

Thorfreedom 12-05-2019 03:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by javelin (Post 214464)
Hi, well I am very surprised Thor tech support suggested using Silicone caulk on your exterior window trims. Most RV folks recommend not using any silicone sealants at all.....but each to his own.



I have used Geocel Proflex RV caulking and it is sticky and "unforgiving" stuff to apply if you are not careful or experienced using it. If you try it practice on something else first before your coach. I found taping off the line area on both sides where you did not want sealant and using neoprene/rubber gloves a must with this stuff. Also a little soapy water in a small container at the ready to smooth the caulking run with a wet finger tip; and only do a couple feet at a time or by the time you come back to smooth it out it is already starting to skin over. I know folks on this forum that also use this caulk and swear by it......but I hate applying it.....just seems like the right stuff for RV's though. I am sure others will make recommendations.....there are those that apply easy but do they last in blazing sun and freezing temps? When you have water coming in something on hand to stop it now is better than doing nothing IMO (famous last words).



https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

I am new in rv family. I learnt lot of new stuff and I love it. I appreciate for everyone help. I am gonna order one tube of geocel and try in one area. I will keep posted. I have small piece of molding that ame off around 4 inches of wall. Any product that I can use to stick it back. I am trying to attach pic of that.

javelin 12-05-2019 01:56 PM

Hi, well for moldings that are coming off I would suggest going to an auto store and buying something like a 3M exterior trim glue (or something similar) and ensure that trim piece is reattached properly. Then you can finish up with your caulking repair.

If you try the Geocel product (usually available at RV stores) you might want to also ask their techs what product they use/recommend for exterior window trims etc. Once you get the hang of applying Geocel it is not bad.....but it can become a sticky mess quickly if you are not careful. I think you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean it off if it goes where you don't want it (before it cures). Also if you tape off the edges of the area you are going to caulk you also cannot leave the tape on very long after applying the Geocel or it will stick to the painter tape and give stringy strands. Practise on something before using it on your coach.


By the way, many caulks go on very easy and are very easy to finish.....but always check the tube for how long it takes to cure......some of them take a week(s) or more to fully cure; so not great if rain is in the forecast.

Thorfreedom 12-12-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javelin (Post 214536)
Hi, well for moldings that are coming off I would suggest going to an auto store and buying something like a 3M exterior trim glue (or something similar) and ensure that trim piece is reattached properly. Then you can finish up with your caulking repair.

If you try the Geocel product (usually available at RV stores) you might want to also ask their techs what product they use/recommend for exterior window trims etc. Once you get the hang of applying Geocel it is not bad.....but it can become a sticky mess quickly if you are not careful. I think you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean it off if it goes where you don't want it (before it cures). Also if you tape off the edges of the area you are going to caulk you also cannot leave the tape on very long after applying the Geocel or it will stick to the painter tape and give stringy strands. Practise on something before using it on your coach.


By the way, many caulks go on very easy and are very easy to finish.....but always check the tube for how long it takes to cure......some of them take a week(s) or more to fully cure; so not great if rain is in the forecast.

Thank you javelin. I purchased some of that stuff today and will try that.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2