Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   COVID-19 Discussion Zone (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f40/)
-   -   An Anecdotal COVID-19 Saga (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f40/anecdotal-covid-19-saga-21109.html)

16ACE27 03-22-2020 10:28 PM

An Anecdotal COVID-19 Saga
 
Well, we got our first confirmed case of CV19 in our county. This is north Florida, generally rural, but smack where I-10 and I-75 cross. The county to our east has had 1 case for about half a week. north and west are 0 cases, and Gainesville to our south has blossomed from a start of 4 students to 29 as of now, no deaths, in less than a week.

This will be interesting to see how this progresses (multiplys?) in our local.

Now of course HIPAA prevents officials from disclosing who the person is but demographics say it is a 46 year old woman with a non-travel related case.

But the grapevine runs thick in these parts and the story is this woman worked at a convenience store on the east side of town across the street from the only fast food/convenience store combo for about 6 miles. So chances are; she contracted it from a fly-by customer traveling from a higher infected location such as Jacksonville or Gainesville. The scary part is; how many people has she come in contact with since contracting the virus but before symptoms arose. Not just locals, like her coworkers and local customers, but people traveling across the state or even country.

I titled this a saga as I intend to report back at least daily on how this expands in our rural, socially distant community so you can get a snapshot into how one case progresses. We may be lucky and she may be the only case for awhile, but given her job, I kinda doubt it. Also, we have very warm weather right now, highs in the 80s for at least a week, close to 90 today. Maybe the warm weather will put a damper on the problem.

This thread has gone way off-base on occasion, maybe even due to my use of "offensive terms" to inject a little humor into my OP. I have changed those terms and moved all the extraneous posts about names and feeling offended to another thread where hopefully discussion can occur about those things in a civil manner. Some posts in this thread were deleted by the site team before I took this action as they strayed from our forum guidelines. The new thread is:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ame-21121.html

What's in a Name?

JamieGeek 03-22-2020 10:37 PM

A local Detroit family described their course of the virus:
https://www.freep.com/in-depth/news/...me/5066569002/

Michigan topped 1000+ cases today...

Bob Denman 03-22-2020 10:44 PM

New York State is getting it's butt kicked with all of the new cases; most of them in NYC! :facepalm:

Lt Keefer 03-23-2020 12:50 AM

I live in an area similar to you. Rural area on a highway between the state capitol and a major seaport. Both places have hong kong fluey and as of yesterday we have our first presumptive case. It will be interesting to see if there is any infill, and if so, how much and how fast. For me, I'm staying close to home, loads of spring yard work to get done before our big summer trip up north. I am hitting the box stores for things we need and thinking about playing golf if the weather dries out.

16ACE27 03-23-2020 01:43 AM

And just that quick we have a second confirmed case in our county; a 70 year old woman. No grape vine rumors on her. Neither women has been hospitalized. Our neighboring county to the east that had a single case for so long now has a second case.

Gainesville to our south continues to explode from 29 earlier today to 35 cases now. Scary stuff.

EA37TS 03-23-2020 12:13 PM

Actually it would be nice for Ted (16ACE27) to continue his updates without being attacked with unfounded accusations.

I for one think it would be nice to hear, or read about how this situation progresses in a community regardless of what someone's personal preference is to the naming convention.

Ted, please continue the updates as things progress. Concerned minds want to know.

Ifish 03-23-2020 09:54 PM

Toilet Paper supply
 
On a lighter note, I have discovered why there is a shortage:

One person sneezes, 3 others panic and shit themselves.

Bob Denman 03-23-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifish (Post 228205)
On a lighter note, I have discovered why there is a shortage:

One person sneezes, 3 others panic and shit themselves.

:D. Bravo!! :lol: :thumb:

The_Breeze 03-23-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifish (Post 228205)
On a lighter note, I have discovered why there is a shortage:

One person sneezes, 3 others panic and shit themselves.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

16ACE27 03-23-2020 11:54 PM

Annnd back to the purpose of this thread. Thanks to all those that have stumbled over the crap in the aisle and have made it this far:

First the facts:

Our little county remains at 2 cases - neither hospitalized yet, both non-travel related. Grapevine info to follow the facts.

Still no cases in the counties to our north, west, and south except for Gainesville which has only gone up by 1 in the last 24 hours. Only 4 of those cases are hospitalized.

Our county to the east which only had one case most of last week now has 3 cases ranging in age from 66 to 87 with 2 of them hospitalized.

The number of deaths in the state jumped from 13 yesterday to 18 today.

The grapevine's updated information says the worker in the convenience store worked in the food prep area (they sell fried chicken and fixings for the lunch crowd), not the cashier area. No word on how she was infected.
The other lady worked as an aide in one of our elementary schools which has not been in session for over 10 days. No word on how she was infected either.

Side note on how different companies are reacting to the problem in our area. As soon as this mess got serious last week there was not a sanitizing wipe or filled sanitizer at the entrance to Walmart like there normally has been. Since my work in Onsite, I went to Walmart each day last week even through the weekend (but not today) and they had the wipes one time in all those visits.

Winn-Dixie had wipes the 2 times I stopped by there. Today I went to Publix and they had a person spraying down and sanitizing the entire cart before handing it to the customer. Guess where we'll be shopping in the future?

powerboatr 03-24-2020 12:00 AM

anyway we are rural, 7 miles to TOWN, it is less than 12k in population, one grocery store chain.


nearest town with a wally world is 21,





funny thing is we often go weeks and not got to town.



but dammmm, i am almost out of beer,


need eggs to , we have been rationing them 2 for breakfast split between my wife and i with 2 strips of bacon. i may loose weight in this, i usually split three eggs.





we have food for at least 5 months now, except for eggs


i hate no being able to got to our local mom and pop mexican place for dinner.

our state has closed all dinning in, its all take out or drive thru


and grub hub is allowed to deliver beer :D but we are so small we dont have but one pizza joint delivering and he has no beer

Lt Keefer 03-24-2020 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptnJohn (Post 228206)
I'd never go political here but will remain PC so I'll not say that a certain group has been in perpetual green diarrhea over 4 years and are holding up the work of congress!

And what is the work of Congress?

Bob Denman 03-24-2020 12:55 AM

:rolleyes: Can you buy beer online?

PictureTheSouth 03-24-2020 01:57 AM

Well now. It's interesting - and disturbing how quickly this innocuous and planned informative post devolved into a filter as to whom our membership would or would not care to meet IRL on the road.

EA37TS 03-24-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16ACE27 (Post 228215)
Annnd back to the purpose of this thread. Thanks to all those that have stumbled over the crap in the aisle and have made it this far:

First the facts:

Our little county remains at 2 cases - neither hospitalized yet, both non-travel related. Grapevine info to follow the facts.

Still no cases in the counties to our north, west, and south except for Gainesville which has only gone up by 1 in the last 24 hours. Only 4 of those cases are hospitalized.

Our county to the east which only had one case most of last week now has 3 cases ranging in age from 66 to 87 with 2 of them hospitalized.

The number of deaths in the state jumped from 13 yesterday to 18 today.

The grapevine's updated information says the worker in the convenience store worked in the food prep area (they sell fried chicken and fixings for the lunch crowd), not the cashier area. No word on how she was infected.
The other lady worked as an aide in one of our elementary schools which has not been in session for over 10 days. No word on how she was infected either.

Side note on how different companies are reacting to the problem in our area. As soon as this mess got serious last week there was not a sanitizing wipe or filled sanitizer at the entrance to Walmart like there normally has been. Since my work in Onsite, I went to Walmart each day last week even through the weekend (but not today) and they had the wipes one time in all those visits.

Winn-Dixie had wipes the 2 times I stopped by there. Today I went to Publix and they had a person spraying down and sanitizing the entire cart before handing it to the customer. Guess where we'll be shopping in the future?

We went to Wegman's today and they had wipes for sanitizing the carts at the entrance. At the checkout they had red tape on the floor and you had to wait behind the tape with items in the cart. When they finished checking out a customer and you were next they sprayed all surfaces of the conveyor and register area and wiped them down before you could put your items on the belt. We had out own bags so they used those to bag our goods. Still not sanitizing or disinfecting cleaners and they were out of all chicken and ground beef products. They did have the high priced meats in the butchers case.

Muggs 03-24-2020 04:38 AM

Made Publix trip. Like above, was gentleman wiping down carts. Some items out like dishsoap, paper goods and water. Most other things limited. Got some nice chops and stuff from produce. Our closest town is 15 miles. Most lots were empty. Still at 1 case last I checked, no details. Talked to son at south house (many more cases there). He said better supply there. They are staying home swimming in pool and riding atvs in yard. Kids do not no dchool though they are getting/doing asdignments via pads/laptops. I have heard 2 other counties in FL are going with more limitations. No verification from racing friends yet.

16ACE27 03-24-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EA37TS (Post 228247)
We went to Wegman's today and they had wipes for sanitizing the carts at the entrance. At the checkout they had red tape on the floor and you had to wait behind the tape with items in the cart. When they finished checking out a customer and you were next they sprayed all surfaces of the conveyor and register area and wiped them down before you could put your items on the belt. We had out own bags so they used those to bag our goods. Still not sanitizing or disinfecting cleaners and they were out of all chicken and ground beef products. They did have the high priced meats in the butchers case.

That "red tape" idea is pretty good.

Muggs 03-24-2020 05:11 PM

We got 2nd official case. I am raking this years oak leaf harvest. Feels like summer this week. Everyone be safe. Not that I would doing anything different but this sure feels like detention.

Beau388 03-24-2020 07:26 PM

Since we are in a Life Care Community, we don't go out unless it is an emergency; although the buses do go weekly to Walmart 5:30 am, Target 7:30 am and Dollar store 7:45 am. No visitors are allow past the front gate, and our support employees are checked as they come to work each day. All part of the SARS plan. I am amazed what I can find online with little or no shipping cost. Our closest HEB (grocery chain out of Austin) delivers free, here for orders of $100 or more. The frozen food comes in a Styrofoam packed with dry ice with an extra $4 charge. They just leave the box(s) on the front porch. Between Walmart, Amazon and HEB we are able to keep the pantry stocked. We have been doing that for two weeks so getting use to it. The neighbors are all getting use to communicating on line or standing 6 feet apart. The dining room is closed so everything is takeout or delivered to the houses (your choice).

36 active cases in Bexar County all in the hospital but only one death (36 year old female). Stay safe!

16ACE27 03-24-2020 11:47 PM

Another day, another confirmed case in our county. This time a male. Still no one hospitalized in our county. The county to the east now has 4 cases, 2 hospitalized still. Gainesville to the south has stabilized at 37 cases with only 4 hospitalized; still no cases to the counties to the north, west and southwest.

No new deaths today, still at 18.

Another snapshot: Brevard county (where my 94 year old father resides) has gone from 0 to 9 in one week; I believe they jumped 5 in just the last 24 hours.

Of course the densely populated areas are still exploding, except for Orlando. Only 50 cases in Orange county, but 2 deaths and 12 hospitalizations.

No new Grapevine info today. Stay safe everyone!


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2