Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor RV Lifestyle (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   4wd RV (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/4wd-rv-23508.html)

The_Breeze 10-03-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glensouth (Post 257495)
Cool! That person did a lot of work to build that rv. You know that Thor and Dynamax and maybe others make a 4x4 rv.

The Thors don't have the ground clearance for serious 4wd use. Slapping a 4x4 under a Super C with 10-12" of ground clearance is for those with more money than brains?

The_Breeze 10-03-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason977 (Post 257584)
I got a lot of inspiration from the Sportsmobile Forum, since a lot of folks there do E-Series 4x4 conversions. Unfortunately, I wasn't really able to get any parts from the vendors since I used the wider F450/550 front axle. I would have liked to use someone else's control arm mounts, but that wasn't in the cards.
I thought about doing a build thread, but it I was spending time in the shop on nights and weekends away from my family and I didn't want to take the extra time.

That's one hell of a man cave :thumb:

The_Breeze 10-18-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason977 (Post 257584)
I got a lot of inspiration from the Sportsmobile Forum, since a lot of folks there do E-Series 4x4 conversions. Unfortunately, I wasn't really able to get any parts from the vendors since I used the wider F450/550 front axle. I would have liked to use someone else's control arm mounts, but that wasn't in the cards.
I thought about doing a build thread, but it I was spending time in the shop on nights and weekends away from my family and I didn't want to take the extra time.

I realize this was posted a while ago. Nice work. Good luck. Try to keep us in the loop if you have the time.

The_Breeze 10-18-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakeman (Post 257471)
I've owned 2 of them. One a 4x4 79 Winnie, we converted (it used a divorced tranfercase and was a beast rolling on 35's) and a 2002 Class C converted by Quigley. We did a lot of camping on the beach on the shore of MD. A lot of great times sleeping on the beach.

Nice :)

Once from Wilmington, DE. Know MD well.

Chance 10-18-2020 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would not want a large 4WD motorhome, in large part because if it got stuck or broke down recovery would be too much trouble, but think it could be fun to have a small 4WD van camper as a toad. I would feel more comfortable leaving a motorhome at a campground, serving as a base camp, and overnighting off road in a compact camper similar in size to the old VW Vanagon Syncro below.

Id expect that Jeeps and 4WD pickups could come to the rescue if needed.

The_Breeze 10-19-2020 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chance (Post 260307)
Would not want a large 4WD motorhome, in large part because if it got stuck or broke down recovery would be too much trouble, but think it could be fun to have a small 4WD van camper as a toad. I would feel more comfortable leaving a motorhome at a campground, serving as a base camp, and overnighting off road in a compact camper similar in size to the old VW Vanagon Syncro below.

Id expect that Jeeps and 4WD pickups could come to the rescue if needed.

I decided to shy away because I'm 11'2". Jumping into 4wd territory, I have to worry about overhead clearance as much as underside. It was nice to dream ;)