Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   DRV Luxury Suites (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Generator transfer switch (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/generator-transfer-switch-23744.html)

Smitty082261 10-10-2020 07:01 PM

Generator transfer switch
 
I just purchased a 2021 mobile suite 39dbrs3 and it is generator prepped. My question is does the Prep mean that there is a auto transfer switch installed so when I put aGenerator in it will be auto transfer capable My motorhome worked this way. I take delivery of this unit next week.
Thanks
Smitty

Porthole 10-11-2020 12:10 AM

Gen prep will get you a gen compartment- fire box, plug and play wiring and transfer switch.

Smitty082261 10-11-2020 12:24 AM

Thanks very much.
Smitty

Cummins12V98 10-11-2020 05:52 PM

Good info!

Welcome aboard Smitty!!!

Porthole 10-11-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty082261 (Post 259081)
Thanks very much.
Smitty

The only variables would be fuel, type and size. You can get DRV’s with generator fuel options; gasoline, propane or diesel. And type and size of gen, either commercial 120/240 or standard 120. Sizes range from 5500 propane/gasoline to 10KW diesel.

Smitty082261 10-11-2020 09:14 PM

Thanks. I was hoping this group was active

Smitty082261 10-11-2020 09:15 PM

Yes I believe I would go with a propane 6500 at least. Will be next year at best.

Cummins12V98 10-12-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty082261 (Post 259257)
Yes I believe I would go with a propane 6500 at least. Will be next year at best.

Be sure to get the "COMMERCIAL" version so it has two legs as in 220V.

I can run my washer and dryer, both 220V with my gen.

Honestly to do it again I would get a 220V diesel gen.

https://i.imgur.com/4Ice5NJl.jpg

Smitty082261 10-12-2020 07:51 PM

I would agree that Diesel would be better but i would not use it enough to keep a tank of fuel turned over so i will definitely go with propane. I will also look at the commercial.

Thanks
Smitty

Cummins12V98 10-12-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty082261 (Post 259367)
I would agree that Diesel would be better but i would not use it enough to keep a tank of fuel turned over so i will definitely go with propane. I will also look at the commercial.

Thanks
Smitty


If you can find Non Ethanol gas that would be fine but it is not readily available in all areas.

Diesel will last a long time so I would not worry about that. Propane is the most trouble and the most thirsty.

rudyhehn 10-12-2020 09:52 PM

Diesel can be safely stored for 9-12 months.

AlmostRetired 10-18-2020 12:28 AM

I dry camp at music festivals a lot. (Pre-Covid). I knew I can always find a gas station nearby or easily bring extra fuel in the bed of the truck. The last thing I wanted was a propane generator. Diesel or gas would be the way to go. DRV placed a 14 gal fuel tank in the belly for me. It takes up as much floor space as a case of beer. I do run premium fuel.

Porthole 10-18-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostRetired (Post 260179)
I dry camp at music festivals a lot. (Pre-Covid). I knew I can always find a gas station nearby or easily bring extra fuel in the bed of the truck. The last thing I wanted was a propane generator. Diesel or gas would be the way to go. DRV placed a 14 gal fuel tank in the belly for me. It takes up as much floor space as a case of beer. I do run premium fuel.

Diesel or gasoline genny?

Cummins12V98 10-18-2020 07:03 PM

"I do run premium fuel"

Did you mean non ethanol?

AlmostRetired 10-21-2020 09:09 PM

I have a gasoline generator. Yes, non-ethanol is used.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2