Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself | Say Hello (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/)
-   -   Officially a 2016 THOR Axis 24.1 Owner!!! (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/officially-2016-thor-axis-24-1-owner-2430.html)

Always a Hawkeye! 10-02-2015 02:31 PM

Officially a 2016 THOR Axis 24.1 Owner!!!
 
We are officially a 2016 THOR Axis 24.1 Owner!!!
We live in Milton, Georgia and are transplants from Iowa and Hawkeye alumni.
"Once a Hawkeye, Always a Hawkeye"...hence my user name!
Our new Taupe exterior has black and gold swirls and my mirrored hawkeye license plate has finally found a home.
We previously have owned a pop-up and a hybrid but had a 10 year hiatus from camping due to kid's activities/sports taking over the weekends and a move overseas. Our hectic schedules are finally calming down with one in college and are only a couple of years away from empty nesting...we hope!
We are so excited to start this new adventure and look forward to learning and growing in this community of THOR owners.
Our Axis is one of the new models that has the E450 Chassis.
If any Vegas/Axis 24.1 owners have information on custom fitted sheets for the rear King bed (which is larger than a reg King/California King), we'd love to hear from you!
Please share any tips you have for us and any recommendations for accessories as we know the list will be long and probably a bit confusing/overwhelming!!!

JamieGeek 10-02-2015 03:06 PM

Congratulations and welcome. Search around here lots of tips & tricks.
(I'm jealous of your E-450 chassis! LOL :) it probably can handle more than the 8,000lb hitch.)

We use two twin fitted sheets for the rear bed and a king cover sheet.

Lots of mods here: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html

Dan9841 10-02-2015 04:19 PM

Congrats! Tomorrow it's my turn to get my RV. I can feel your excitement.

EA37TS 10-02-2015 04:51 PM

Congrats and welcome.

tmshih 10-02-2015 05:41 PM

Congratulations, I'll have to check which chassis my 2016 24.1 came with when I get it back from the dealer.

I advise caution when reaching around underneath to connect your sewer hose. I found out the hard way Thor used razor sharp wood screws to attach the sewer ring and shredded up my hands while preparing to dump.

I recommend carrying 2-3 cheap lightweight 5x7 rugs to lay in front of your door at campsites to cut down on dirt being tracked into your unit while camping. These store nicely in either of the pass-through storage compartments.

I had trouble properly staying within the lanes while driving until I picked up a tip. Park your unit next to a straight curb (easy enough to do using to side mirror to gauge your distance). Then place a sticker on the windshield where the curb extends in your sightline to establish where the right side of your RV is oriented. Now, when I drive I can easily spot where the right edge of my unit is within the lane from the corner of my eye without turning to look at my right side mirror. For me, the sticker goes about the middle of the left windshield wiper, but you'll need additional markers for each driver.

timp410 10-02-2015 07:45 PM

It's true, I just finished watching a youtube video that was just posted by Thor and they are now using the E450 chassis. Congrats on your new purchase, you are very lucky to have gotten the new chassis. I always thought these Motorhomes should have been built on the heavier chassis.

bevedfelker 10-02-2015 08:03 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum from a Nittany Lion alum.

JRS950 10-02-2015 11:29 PM

Congrats on the new coach. May you have many years of enjoyment. We love our 28Z Four Winds class C.:D

Mr Sunshine 10-03-2015 12:26 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
My spouse and I are both Cyclone alums. (We'll save all that for a different forum.) Like you, we are Iowa escapees.
We are pleased with our Vegas, just enjoyed 5 nights at a beachfront campsite!
Here's to many happy miles and adventures!

Larry 10-03-2015 01:46 AM

Congrats and welcome to Georgia.

Happily Retired 10-03-2015 01:35 PM

Welcome! We also live north of Atlanta and bought our 24.1 Axis in early 2014 when there wasn't a single one to see in Georgia!

Ours was a downsize from a much bigger class A, and we have been much happier with the more narrow width and shorter length, though at times we definitely would like the extra space! For some time we have felt this great little coach would be even better with an additional slide in the bedroom. Perhaps with the new addition of the E450 that will be a future possibility! :)

With regards to making up the extra large bed, try using a fitted twin and a fitted full. They cover the entire bottom space, and then we use a king size sheet and blanket or comforter for the top.

We recently added tpms for monitoring tire pressures on coach and toad. Since Thor's valve stem extensions have issues you may want to consider one, too.

Hope you have many great trips with yours! Be sure to post any issues you have as most of us have already been through and had to solve similar ones!! :)

axis earl 01-10-2016 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! (Post 19173)
We are officially a 2016 THOR Axis 24.1 Owner!!!
We live in Milton, Georgia and are transplants from Iowa and Hawkeye alumni.
"Once a Hawkeye, Always a Hawkeye"...hence my user name!
Our new Taupe exterior has black and gold swirls and my mirrored hawkeye license plate has finally found a home.
We previously have owned a pop-up and a hybrid but had a 10 year hiatus from camping due to kid's activities/sports taking over the weekends and a move overseas. Our hectic schedules are finally calming down with one in college and are only a couple of years away from empty nesting...we hope!
We are so excited to start this new adventure and look forward to learning and growing in this community of THOR owners.
Our Axis is one of the new models that has the E450 Chassis.
If any Vegas/Axis 24.1 owners have information on custom fitted sheets for the rear King bed (which is larger than a reg King/California King), we'd love to hear from you!
Please share any tips you have for us and any recommendations for accessories as we know the list will be long and probably a bit confusing/overwhelming!!!

Okay, we are with you on this.... We were ready to pay more for a Winnebago View on the Mercedes C Class until we actually drove it. Although I liked the almost 15 MPG with the C Class Mercedes, it didn't drive anywhere as nice and relaxing as the Axis 24.1 and didn't feel as big. Looking forward to years of traveling comfort.

nick104 01-10-2016 10:44 AM

E-450 vs E-350 chassis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmshih (Post 19187)
Congratulations, I'll have to check which chassis my 2016 24.1 came with when I get it back from the dealer.

I advise caution when reaching around underneath to connect your sewer hose. I found out the hard way Thor used razor sharp wood screws to attach the sewer ring and shredded up my hands while preparing to dump.

I recommend carrying 2-3 cheap lightweight 5x7 rugs to lay in front of your door at campsites to cut down on dirt being tracked into your unit while camping. These store nicely in either of the pass-through storage compartments.

I had trouble properly staying within the lanes while driving until I picked up a tip. Park your unit next to a straight curb (easy enough to do using to side mirror to gauge your distance). Then place a sticker on the windshield where the curb extends in your sightline to establish where the right side of your RV is oriented. Now, when I drive I can easily spot where the right edge of my unit is within the lane from the corner of my eye without turning to look at my right side mirror. For me, the sticker goes about the middle of the left windshield wiper, but you'll need additional markers for each driver.

No need to take the RV to the dealer to find out if the chassis is an E-450. Just look at your VIN . If the fourth digit is a 4, it's the newer E-450 chassis. I suppose a 3 would indicate the E-350 chassis. It's nice to have the 14,500 max weight vs. the 12,500 weight on the E-350. Nick from Soddy Daisy, TN ( Chattanooga area ). New 24.1 owner in Dec 2015.

axis earl 01-10-2016 05:59 PM

Spare Tire
 
New 24.1 owner here. Just wondering about the issue of currently not having a spare tire and how others look at it. Makes me a bit concerned. Are the wheels interchangeable- front to rear duals, etc.,?

Also wondering if there are road services available where a tire could be mounted if I carried a replacement tire only. Thoughts?:popcorn:

JamieGeek 01-10-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis earl
New 24.1 owner here. Just wondering about the issue of currently not having a spare tire and how others look at it. Makes me a bit concerned. Are the wheels interchangeable- front to rear duals, etc.,?

Also wondering if there are road services available where a tire could be mounted if I carried a replacement tire only.

Are you aware that the unit comes with free Ford road service (don't remember the term; think its like 3 years or something like that). Its specified in the Ford owner's manual.

axis earl 01-10-2016 08:06 PM

Spare Tire
 
Thanks! I am still reading the info that came with the RUV and I will look at that. At my age I don't plan on changing the tire myself but just looking at options. :thumb:

Angelo 01-10-2016 08:19 PM

Congratulations!
 
Enjoy! We just remove the center section of the bed and use it as two twin beds. Center section used to hold phones, glasses and other items. Works great!

Well be passing thru on I 75 Wednesday.

DocMike 01-11-2016 12:36 AM

Earl,

DocMike here. I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy. I got a spare tire and mounted it on a Curt mount that uses the towing hitch (threads this forum). I fully understand that there are two or three ways around having to change a flat...but I like having the spare on hand when/if road side assistance shows up.

Doc

Mr Sunshine 01-11-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis earl (Post 24394)
New 24.1 owner here. Just wondering about the issue of currently not having a spare tire and how others look at it. Makes me a bit concerned. Are the wheels interchangeable- front to rear duals, etc.,?

Also wondering if there are road services available where a tire could be mounted if I carried a replacement tire only. Thoughts?:popcorn:

Welcome to the forum. Taking a spare has been discussed before on this forum, you might find posts with a search.

Personally, over several decades of RVing, none of our RVs had a spare. All our traveling has been east and south of the Rockies. For those who travel to more remote locations, having a spare makes more sense.

We have gone without road service for years, but did buy it when our tires were getting to the end of their life. While covered, we had two blowouts before we replaced the rest. That was at about 5 years. To me, having a spare RV tire and/or wheel is unnecessary weight. Other opinions will disagree. The trend for cars went from full spares to donut spares to an inflation kit and a phone # for road service. Our RV insurance has limited road service, besides that included by Ford.

RV tires rarely wear out. I do normally carry an unmounted spare tire for our tow car, as it is a hard size to find.

Yes, the tires are interchangeable, but if your question was about rotating your RV tires, I have been advised that is unnecessary. Opinions will vary on that, too!

Angelo 01-11-2016 02:06 AM

Can you post a photo of that spare tire arrangement, please.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2