Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   Thor Vegas 2015 Doghouse removal (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/thor-vegas-2015-doghouse-removal-3545.html)

ptnormd1 03-30-2016 07:12 PM

Thor Vegas 2015 Doghouse removal

Hi all, I'm a new owner and wanted to insulate the doghouse/transmission engine cover on our new RV, a 2015 Thor Vegas. I can remove all the small screws but the 2 larger screws going down into the floor won't come all the way out. I got one out on the Passenger side but I can only get the Drivers side screw up about an inch and then it just turns and slides around. Not sure what I am doing wrong and I can't get a hand in there to figure it out. Anyone out there who has had a similar problem?

vkb 03-30-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptnormd1 (Post 30581)
Hi all, I'm a new owner and wanted to insulate the doghouse/transmission engine cover on our new RV, a 2015 Thor Vegas. I can remove all the small screws but the 2 larger screws going down into the floor won't come all the way out. I got one out on the Passenger side but I can only get the Drivers side screw up about an inch and then it just turns and slides around. Not sure what I am doing wrong and I can't get a hand in there to figure it out. Anyone out there who has had a similar problem?

We have a 2016 Axis .. Ron had the doghouse off .. he sez on the bottom side of the floor those 2 large bolts go through a nut attached to a clip attached to the floor panel...he sez that clip might be spinning...vice-grips on the bottom nut may make it a one person job ... usually, he has me hold one end of whatever he is working on (with the appropriate tool) and he does the other.

We hope this helps !

ptnormd1 03-30-2016 08:25 PM

Thanks Kay (and Ron), I got under the coach and found the nut with the attached clip on the ground and found that the other nut still on the screw does not have a clip on it. I am waiting for the DW to get home so we can make it a 2 person job.

vkb 03-30-2016 10:29 PM

Happy to help !

ptnormd1 03-31-2016 09:43 PM

So in follow up to yesterdays post, I had to get under the chassis and find the square nut and put a vice grip on it. The bolt was extremely difficult to remove and my wife could not do it so I had to go up top and with great effort finally remove the bolt. After removing the doghouse I determined the following: 1: the bolts in question are 3 inch 5/16x18 Phillip's head bolts are 1 3/4 inches too long. They go into cage nuts that are attached to a slot in the coach frame. The bolts Thor used must have been defective as they twisted the cage nuts out of their slots. Die Co., Inc. | Cage Nuts Cage nuts are not easy to find and must be special ordered at Lowes. Fortunately I still had one of them and was able to refit it into the passenger side slot. I was able to use a 5/16 x 18 U-nut that I found at Lowes to replace the lost cage nut on the drivers side. The purpose of all these efforts was to sound insulate the underside of the dog house with 3/4 inch Fatmat which I did. This resulted in a significant decrease in the engine noise in the cockpit. One more point. The screws used to attach the doghouse to the vertical firewall are also 3/4 inch too long and are self tapping Philips heads which were easily stripped I replaced the with a similar size hex head 3/4 inch self tapping screws which worked well.

I am a new owner and understand that Thor is not Ford, but I don't understand using longer screws than needed or screws that are of such poor quality that they are easily stripped.

Baddad53 03-31-2016 11:43 PM

I had a hard time with the bolts too. Had to get the cagenuts from the ground also :( I used one new screw on the top as the original stripped. I put the fatmat on the bottom of the flooring as far as I could reach along with the doghouse.

Posts about noise level link:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...html#post30666