Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   DRV Luxury Suites (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   2" riser (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/2-riser-3885.html)

Kato 05-08-2016 11:08 PM

2" riser
 
Question for those of you with the Ram 3500 and Mobile Suites combo.....with the 2" riser added to the Mobile Suites, what is your clearance measurement between the trailer and the bed rails of the truck? We are looking at ordering a Full House this fall and mating it with the Ram 3500. My concern is getting it into our driveway which has a pretty steep bank to it from the street. Thanks for any input on this!

Tim

rynosback 05-09-2016 05:49 AM

I am in a graveled CG right now. But get the 2 inch risers for sure. Worse case is that you have more clearence and to level.

Cummins12V98 05-09-2016 09:29 PM

The 2" riser has nothing to do with bed clearance, you can go without the riser and have 6" bed clearance but the RV WILL ride nose high. To get a minimum of 6" bed clearance and a fairly level RV the 2" riser WILL be needed!

Mine in pic is very nose high, risers will be added later next week. Pic is deceiving, RV is 3-4" higher in front than rear.

https://i.imgur.com/FZoSwfNl.jpg

kannon 05-10-2016 12:15 AM

The smallest fullhouse (jx450) weighs 20,000 empty.Check your truck capacity.

Cummins12V98 05-10-2016 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannon (Post 34069)
The smallest fullhouse (jx450) weighs 20,000 empty.Check your truck capacity.


He has or is getting the same truck as I have only in a 16 that has a bit more towing capacity.

He will be fine and within ratings as I am.

Front axle rating 6,000# mine is 5,460#

Rear axle rating 9,750# mine is 9,580#

Combined rating 37,800# mine is 32,500#

His combined rating is more the other ratings stay the same. My RV weighs 23K with about 5,500# pin. His toy hauler most likely won't be more than that since he will load the rear with toys and still be within his combined rating.

If he was looking at a F450 he would be way over rear axle rating at only 9,100# thru 2016. I assume they will correct that issue with the 2017's.

Kato 05-10-2016 10:58 AM

Thanks for the confirmation on those numbers. I figured that the rear axle weight would be ok, even with the Full House, loaded up to 24,000 lbs.

TahoeShark 05-12-2016 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kato (Post 34088)
Thanks for the confirmation on those numbers. I figured that the rear axle weight would be ok, even with the Full House, loaded up to 24,000 lbs.

Full house is a triple axle. You will have a lot less weight on the pin than the twin axles like we have. When loaded pin will probably be much lighter. I doubt you can get 20% on the pin.

Also get the 2" riser. It will increase the bed clearance at the rear of the truck.

Cummins12V98 05-13-2016 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeShark (Post 34287)
Full house is a triple axle. You will have a lot less weight on the pin than the twin axles like we have. When loaded pin will probably be much lighter. I doubt you can get 20% on the pin.

Also get the 2" riser. It will increase the bed clearance at the rear of the truck.

What does 3 axles have to do with pin weight? Are they placing the front axle closer to the pin than mine in the pic above? If I added a third axle it would be behind the existing two. 3 axles are used when the axle weight is getting close to 8K on each of the two. I actually have 17,500# sitting on my two axles and was advised by MorRyde not to add a third axle. We may be upgrading the two axles I have now.

TahoeShark 05-13-2016 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 (Post 34389)
What does 3 axles have to do with pin weight? Are they placing the front axle closer to the pin than mine in the pic above? If I added a third axle it would be behind the existing two. 3 axles are used when the axle weight is getting close to 8K on each of the two. I actually have 17,500# sitting on my two axles and was advised by MorRyde not to add a third axle. We may be upgrading the two axles I have now.

Three axles have a lot to do with pin weight versus twin axles. Toy Haulers even more. You and I have one of the heavier pin weights in the DRV line. Basically 16,000 lbs on the axles and 5,000 lbs on the pin. I know you are heavier than I am. That equals the 21,000 lbs GVWR DRV assigns to the trailer. The triple axle DRV's have a GVWR of either 23,000 or 24,000 lbs. That weight is now supported by three axles and the pin.

When we were at the DRV Rally in Las Vegas they offered weighing of the rigs so we and a lot of other folks took advantage of that. Dual and triple axle DRV's. Without exception the larger duals like ours had the heavier pin weights. Mine came in at 4950 which I have now reduced slightly. The Tripple axles were in the 3500 to 4000 lb range. Now understand that these were not toy haulers but were the Houston class trailers. Now consider the toy hauler, all or most of the cargo weight is behind the rear axle. Guess what that does to the pin weight.

Anyway, even though the GVWR IS HIGHER,on the triples the pin weight will be lower.

rynosback 05-13-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 (Post 34389)
What does 3 axles have to do with pin weight? Are they placing the front axle closer to the pin than mine in the pic above? If I added a third axle it would be behind the existing two. 3 axles are used when the axle weight is getting close to 8K on each of the two. I actually have 17,500# sitting on my two axles and was advised by MorRyde not to add a third axle. We may be upgrading the two axles I have now.

Do they offer a heavier load axle?

Cummins12V98 05-14-2016 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynosback (Post 34402)
Do they offer a heavier load axle?

Yes they have 9K, not sure what the difference is. Will find out next Wednesday!

I think my RV is sitting lower than before. Rubber springs may be settling in.

ontheroad 05-14-2016 02:31 AM

Are you saying that DRV is offering a 9K axle in place of the 8K axles. I tried to get DRV to put 3 axles on our 41rssb4 but they would not.

JBurg 05-14-2016 03:09 AM

What did your 41 come out to on weight? Mine is way heavier than expected. No possible way it had a dry weight of 18k, haha!!! We also wanted a third axle, but no such luck. Definitely interested to hear about this 9K Mor-Ryde option.

ontheroad 05-14-2016 04:09 AM

have not weighed mine, pull with HDT so my biggest concern is overloading the axles . What did you weigh on the axles?

rynosback 05-14-2016 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 (Post 34471)
Yes they have 9K, not sure what the difference is. Will find out next Wednesday!

I think my RV is sitting lower than before. Rubber springs may be settling in.

Interesting that they do not offer it or just make that standard. As now the Moryde suspension is standard on DRV. Always best to have the beefiest frame and suspension possible.

Cummins12V98 05-14-2016 10:57 AM

DRV does not offer the 9K as far as I know. I would say with a two axle larger RV it would be a good option. My axle weight is 17,500#.

JBurg our 39TKSB3 had a factory weight of 18,075#, I sure would like to know what had not been added when it was weighed!!! Only thing added was a 6500 GEN @ around 400# at RollingRetreats. I am at 23K and really can't see adding 4,500#.

frscherock@gmail.com 05-14-2016 12:49 PM

I have a 2015 41RSSB4 customized with rear entertainment and the sofa in the slide where the entertainment is normal. Not had the chance to get individual weights but using a CAT Scale I am overweight on the trailer axles close to a thousand pounds. I do have the MorRyde IS Total trailer weight just 320 over but it is all on the rear. Would love to be able to correct this.

FS

Cummins12V98 05-15-2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frscherock@gmail.com (Post 34497)
I have a 2015 41RSSB4 customized with rear entertainment and the sofa in the slide where the entertainment is normal. Not had the chance to get individual weights but using a CAT Scale I am overweight on the trailer axles close to a thousand pounds. I do have the MorRyde IS Total trailer weight just 320 over but it is all on the rear. Would love to be able to correct this.

FS

Good part is the tires can handle the extra weight.

I will post a lot of info later next week when I am done at MorRyde.

JBurg 05-15-2016 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheroad (Post 34484)
have not weighed mine, pull with HDT so my biggest concern is overloading the axles . What did you weigh on the axles?

My rig came in at 17380 when both axles were on the scale. Pin of 4940. What was weird though, was that if I weighed just one axle at a time, the front was 9160 and the rear was 9140. (I was using a big DOT scale.) The tires are good to 4805 a piece, so I'm still under (just) on the tires with whichever weight is true, whether that's the 17380 or the 18300. Watching the pressures and temperatures from the tpms it seems that the load is fairly well distributed between the four tires.

JBurg 05-15-2016 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 (Post 34493)
DRV does not offer the 9K as far as I know. I would say with a two axle larger RV it would be a good option. My axle weight is 17,500#.

JBurg our 39TKSB3 had a factory weight of 18,075#, I sure would like to know what had not been added when it was weighed!!! Only thing added was a 6500 GEN @ around 400# at RollingRetreats. I am at 23K and really can't see adding 4,500#.

Right? So add two more feet of trailer and then all the additional hydraulic components for another slide (if I remember correctly yours has the two enormous slides on the rear, whereas mine has one huge slide and two smaller slides in the back) and the 5500 gen and we're lookin at even more weight on mine! There's no way I added almost five grand (depending on which axle weight we go with, haha) to our rig. Heck, we still have empty cupboards and room in the basement! But, I didn't weigh it empty, so I guess I'll never know.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2