Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Motorhome Tech Topics (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Mystery: Fresh water tank filled up on its own (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10/mystery-fresh-water-tank-filled-up-its-own-5115.html)

Greg84 09-13-2016 12:53 AM

Mystery: Fresh water tank filled up on its own

The DW and I went hiking today. When we got back about 7 hours later I had water dripping from the rig. Closer inspection revealed that the fresh water tank was overflowing. Odd, as I only keep about 20 gallons in it and I had not moved any valves in the last five weeks we've been on the road. We always use the campground water wherever we are. and this is the first time it has happened. We do use the water pump on occasion when we move.

I turned off CG water and drained the freshwater tank. After draining and with the drain still open, I turned the water back on to see if any water would come out. Nothing.

Any ideas on how this occurred?

bevedfelker 09-13-2016 01:36 AM

Had the same thing happen on my Vegas. Think it was some grit in the check valve of the pump. Was on city water and I heard water running outside. Went out and looked and water was flowing g out the overflow of the fresh water tank inlet.

Shut off water. Turned on pump and ran it for a minute. Turned city water back on and drained the tank. Never had a problem again.

Figured a piece of grip in the check valve was allowing g water to flow through the pump (backwards) into the tank.

Greg84 09-13-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevedfelker (Post 45741)
Had the same thing happen on my Vegas. Think it was some grit in the check valve of the pump. Was on city water and I heard water running outside. Went out and looked and water was flowing g out the overflow of the fresh water tank inlet.

Shut off water. Turned on pump and ran it for a minute. Turned city water back on and drained the tank. Never had a problem again.

Figured a piece of grip in the check valve was allowing g water to flow through the pump (backwards) into the tank.

Thanks. I checked the freshwater water tank this morning and no water had been added over night. Yesterday I had flipped the tank fill/city valve to make sure it wasn’t in the wrong direction…might have broken loose whatever was interfering with the check valve.

Harvard 09-13-2016 04:00 PM

All the more reason to be using the water pump/holding tank instead of city water because it serves as a audible leak detection system. When the pump cycles "excessively" without any water taps open it is time to investigate. JMO

mcr1010 09-13-2016 05:50 PM

Another good practice is to when hooked up to campground faucet; turn it off when leaving your RV for any length of time. Just in case something breaks loose while you are away.

Greg84 09-14-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcr1010 (Post 45801)
Another good practice is to when hooked up to campground faucet; turn it off when leaving your RV for any length of time. Just in case something breaks loose while you are away.

That is a great idea and one that did not even cross my mind. D'oh!

Thanks!

Joe-FL 09-15-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcr1010 (Post 45801)

Good advise, even with pressure regulators in use water fittings can fail. Have read about more than one RVer returning to their rig to see water running out the doors!

TurnerFam 09-15-2016 02:15 PM

we've had this happen several times, even after replacement of the Anderson 4Way Valve by the factory on two occassions - so...

i decided to get wise and install an in-line faucet style 'cut off' valve between the Anderson valve and the water line to the water Tank. now I can rest assured that the filling does not happen unless I want it to.:whistling:

Techn0 01-02-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnerFam (Post 45949)
we've had this happen several times, even after replacement of the Anderson 4Way Valve by the factory on two occassions - so...

i decided to get wise and install an in-line faucet style 'cut off' valve between the Anderson valve and the water line to the water Tank. now I can rest assured that the filling does not happen unless I want it to.:whistling:

I've been experiencing the same issues. Do you have any pictures of the shut off valve you added after the Kantleak 4 way valve? I also sometimes have poor water pressure on city water which I presume is from water also flowing to the fresh water tank. Did the shut off valve solve that problem too? TIA