Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motor Coach (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Winterizing Whirlpool frig with ice maker (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17/winterizing-whirlpool-frig-ice-maker-5740.html)

Cherden 11-27-2016 06:42 PM

Winterizing Whirlpool frig with ice maker

I have a Whirlpool residential frig with ice maker and its going to need winterizing here shortly.
My questions are: where is the solenoid/valve located? Is it in the box directly in front of the ice maker, where the shut off arm is? Called the "module, assembly" under this cover?
I have the spec sheet and it shows the solenoid/valve on it, but doesn't show where it is located on the ice maker. Need to get to this & the tubes. Frig will be pretty hard to get away from the wall so we are hoping that its located inside that box.
Sure wish this frig didn't have the ice maker, I'll never use the ice. Carry my own.
Not much on the hose water taste.
:bow:
P.S. Have a Thor Class C Quantam

gmc 11-27-2016 06:51 PM

My home fridge was 3 screws to install or remove the icemaker... If you aren't going to use - I would just take it out - disconnect the water lines once - and never worry about winterizing it again...

It's one of those conveniences nice to have at home (brick/mortar) - but doesn't seem worth the effort for winterizing.
(Don't have it at home anymore since last one failed and flooded the kitchen :facepalm: ... The 'price per ice cube' didn't make sense to replace.)

Brakeman48 11-27-2016 07:13 PM

Whirlpool ice maker winterize

Someone else posted these instructions for winterizing. No need to remove anything such as solo oils.

Turn on fridge and freezer to the highest setting. Blow out all water lines with a low pressure compressor as you normally would. Now lower the arm on the ice maker to make ice. After first batch discard and lower arm again. Repeat until you get no more ice. Line has now been emptied of any water. Eventually it runs out of water because you blew out all the lines in the MH.

This worked for me. If you do a search on this topic I would think you would find the original post by someone else.

Brakeman48

Cherden 11-27-2016 10:06 PM

I did read all the posts and it was kind of 50/50 on the way to do it.
We have decided that once we do have it shut off and blown out, that we are not going to turn it on again. The only reason its on now is because the walk thru guy had it on to show us everything was working.
Just wanted to make sure it would be in working order when I decide to sell the rv. Don't like surprises.
Thanks for the replys!:flowers:

EA37TS 11-27-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherden (Post 51593)
I have a Whirlpool residential frig with ice maker and its going to need winterizing here shortly.
My questions are: where is the solenoid/valve located? Is it in the box directly in front of the ice maker, where the shut off arm is? Called the "module, assembly" under this cover?
I have the spec sheet and it shows the solenoid/valve on it, but doesn't show where it is located on the ice maker. Need to get to this & the tubes. Frig will be pretty hard to get away from the wall so we are hoping that its located inside that box.
Sure wish this frig didn't have the ice maker, I'll never use the ice. Carry my own.
Not much on the hose water taste.
:bow:
P.S. Have a Thor Class C Quantam

It would depend on which refrigerator you have installed. My 2015 Challenger has a 2 door fridge (upper/lower) and I believe some 2016 and newer models use the side by side.

On my Whirlpool the solenoid is on the lower back left (looking at the doors) and the fridge must be pulled out of the cabinet to get at the solenoid.

Here is the link that I posted regarding my saga with the ice maker earlier this year.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...w-up-3717.html

Cherden 11-28-2016 12:33 AM

Apparently I'm so excited about my RV that I misspelled the model name, its Quantum not what I put earlier. :lol: