Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   Running Air on the pass through of an inverter? (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/running-air-pass-through-inverter-8118.html)

tinman01 07-07-2017 01:03 PM

Running Air on the pass through of an inverter?
 
Hi,

I am going to replace my Xantrex XM1800 modified sign inverter and go to a 4000 Watt Pure Sign. When I do this I will rewire to run my entire coach off the inverter when I dry camp.

Now I don't need to run the air conditioner (without shore or gen power) but do want to have all plugins, coffee maker and microwave work without having to start my Gen.. I did add two more batteries and will add more in the near future, but right now I have about 300 amp hours. I'm not concerned about battery draw but don't want to cause problems with the inverter.

When I am on shore power or running my Gen the inverter will go into pass through mode,

If the inverter is in pass through mode does that effectively remove the inverter from load concerns, being able to run say the air, microwave, water heater (on Elec), Hot plate or what ever while on shore or gen power?

My question is will running the Air, and what ever else put the inverter in overload or cause other problems?

Thanks
Don

EA37TS 07-07-2017 01:14 PM

Don,

If everything is wired and operating correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

The XM1800 control panels even identifies when the inverter is in pass through mode (green light) or running off the batteries (yellow light). Not sure which inverter you are getting but the Xantrex (power on) will run on pass through until shore or generator power falls below 90 VAC and then switch over to battery power.

16ACE27 07-07-2017 01:16 PM

I think the answer lies in the specs on your inverter, but I would think a 4000 watt inverter should be up to it.

As far as running "everything" off the inverter, you probably need to take the converter out of that loop, nothing but a waste to try to charge your batteries off the inverter that is running on your batteries.

gmc 07-07-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinman01 (Post 75843)
Hi,
...
When I am on shore power or running my Gen the inverter will go into pass through mode,

If the inverter is in pass through mode does that effectively remove the inverter from load concerns, being able to run say the air, microwave, water heater (on Elec), Hot plate or what ever while on shore or gen power?

My question is will running the Air, and what ever else put the inverter in overload or cause other problems?

Thanks
Don

Since you mention 'pass through' mode - it implies a transfer switch built in to the inverter... The capacity of that transfer switch is a limiting factor - as is the circuit breaker feeding the inverter...
These limits will be whether you are running on the inverter - or shore/genny power.

And remember - the AC power can always fail - dumping whatever load you were running onto the inverter...

If you don't intend to use it with the air conditioning, then I wouldn't wire it to the inverter output... Don't know which particular inverter you are looking at - but to power multiple existing circuits with an inverter, ideally feed it with its max capacity circuit on the AC side - of course your 12v power, and run output to a subpanel - moving any circuits you want controlled from the main panel to the subpanel...

tinman01 07-07-2017 01:35 PM

Inverter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstankov (Post 75846)
Don,

If everything is wired and operating correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

The XM1800 control panels even identifies when the inverter is in pass through mode (green light) or running off the batteries (yellow light). Not sure which inverter you are getting but the Xantrex (power on) will run on pass through until shore or generator power falls below 90 VAC and then switch over to battery power.

I'm not sure which inverter I will be getting, still looking and open to suggestions. Looking at the AIMS Power PICOGLF40W12V240VS 4000W 120/240V AC Pure Sine Split Phase Inverter Charger. seems to have good reviews and with the 240 volts it would duplicate the 240v 50 amp shore power? Not to sure on that, but it seems that the bigger the better.

Is there some advantage to having the 240 side of it? the one that only does 120 volts is cheaper, however I don't want cheap out on things like this but don't want to waste either!

Thanks

tinman01 07-07-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfryman (Post 75847)
I think the answer lies in the specs on your inverter, but I would think a 4000 watt inverter should be up to it.

As far as running "everything" off the inverter, you probably need to take the converter out of that loop, nothing but a waste to try to charge your batteries off the inverter that is running on your batteries.

Hi,

It would be running everything through the inverter in pass through mode, not off of, I'm just partial to set and forget modes, (yes a little bit of a lazy streak! lol) I don't want to have to keep turning the inverter on and off but do want to keep a trickle charge to the batteries.

This is the inverter I'm looking at but open to suggestions.

AIMS Power PICOGLF40W12V240VS 4000W 120/240V AC Pure Sine Split Phase Inverter Charger

Thanks

tinman01 07-07-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc (Post 75848)
Since you mention 'pass through' mode - it implies a transfer switch built in to the inverter... The capacity of that transfer switch is a limiting factor - as is the circuit breaker feeding the inverter...
These limits will be whether you are running on the inverter - or shore/genny power.

And remember - the AC power can always fail - dumping whatever load you were running onto the inverter...

If you don't intend to use it with the air conditioning, then I wouldn't wire it to the inverter output... Don't know which particular inverter you are looking at - but to power multiple existing circuits with an inverter, ideally feed it with its max capacity circuit on the AC side - of course your 12v power, and run output to a subpanel - moving any circuits you want controlled from the main panel to the subpanel...

The sub panel is a great idea I never considered.

The inverter I'm looking at is the AIMS Power PICOGLF40W12V240VS 4000W 120/240V AC Pure Sine Split Phase Inverter Charger

I'll have to look for the specs on the capacity of the switch.

Thanks


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2