Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Gps (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-8507.html)

Miramar Mike 07-28-2017 02:29 AM

Gps
 
Opinions on the best GPS systems for RV's?

tnedator 07-28-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miramar Mike (Post 79963)
Opinions on the best GPS systems for RV's?

I shall predict the two leading candidates are the Garmin 770 and Google maps, but we caveats to trust neither...

Mo_Mike 07-28-2017 03:31 AM

We went with the GARMIN RV760 LMT. One reason we went with the older one over the 770 was the fact that all the hookups are in the base so you just have to push a button and lift off the unit.

We also connected the backup/side cameras in our VEGAS to the 760, giving us a much better monitor than the AXXERA. And the GPS is right in my normal view, without having to look down and to the right to the radio screen. The GPS also has the "judging" lines on backup so it is much easier to judge distance.

Oh yeah, and the GPS works good, too....

SuperD 07-28-2017 03:35 AM

Your profile doesn't say what type of RV you have. I personally like the Garmin RV models, they let you input your coach dimensions and average driving speed.

pstandiford 07-28-2017 10:16 AM

We have a Rand McNally RV unit. I would suggest that regardless of make you get an RV unit that allows for inputting RV dimensions- particularly height. We were using the phone god recently and were directed to turn right when I saw a 9'4" clearance sign we immediately stopped and got out the Rand McNally and used it for the rest of the trip.

sforl 07-28-2017 01:36 PM

I bought the Garmin 770. There are many features that I find very useful, but as a basic GPS, so far I find it lacking!
The data base seems to be limited! So far it has only been able to locate about 40% of the addresses I enter. Google maps has this info, but the Garmin does not! The navigation system on my 2006 Acura which data was updated 5 yrs ago has this info, but not the Garmin! ( yes I've download all the latest everything on the Garmin)
I've mostly used it for the moving map and the other functions like clearance warnings, gas stations and etc.
I'll be curious to see if other 770 owners have this same problem.

glamperjan 07-28-2017 05:44 PM

Google Maps I never use my TomTom anymore

pstandiford 07-28-2017 06:05 PM

I don't think Google maps has the clearance alert capabilities. Could be important.

rynosback 07-28-2017 06:14 PM

Love our Garmin 770dzl. Been full timing with it for two years now. It has not mislead us one time.

Travelin' Texans 07-28-2017 06:36 PM

We have an Iphone, an Android phone, built GPS on the truck, Trucker Path app & a Motor Carriers atlas & check all of them. The built in on the truck apparently needs an update as lately we can't trust it, no telling where we may wind up, the Google maps on the phones are definitely the most handy & most accurate, & the atlas list all the clearances per state in a couple of pages. The Trucker Path app has all sorts of info you can have listed, & if a truck can go that route we can.

pstandiford 07-28-2017 06:42 PM

We had a Ford F-350 with built in GPS. The updates came on a DVD that got inserted in a drive behind the panel. Updates were $200. That's when I got one with lifetime updates.

Travelin' Texans 07-28-2017 08:56 PM

Yep! That's why mine hasn't been updated yet.

JamieGeek 07-28-2017 09:00 PM

The GPS question is asked about once every two months or so--it probably should be a sticky.

rynosback 07-28-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstandiford (Post 80078)
We had a Ford F-350 with built in GPS. The updates came on a DVD that got inserted in a drive behind the panel. Updates were $200. That's when I got one with lifetime updates.

The problem with vehicle GPS's is that you can not program them with height,weight, width and hazardous materials. You would think you could is they are now capiable of towing 30k or more.
This is why I went with my Garmin, plus I have lifetime updates for free.

Mr Sunshine 07-28-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstandiford (Post 79989)
We have a Rand McNally RV unit. I would suggest that regardless of make you get an RV unit that allows for inputting RV dimensions- particularly height. We were using the phone god recently and were directed to turn right when I saw a 9'4" clearance sign we immediately stopped and got out the Rand McNally and used it for the rest of the trip.



We had a similar close call using G maps. Bought a Garmin 760 and it is great except routing doesn't always match our preferences.

(X2 to Jamie's sticky request)

rynosback 07-28-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieGeek (Post 80092)
The GPS question is asked about once every two months or so--it probably should be a sticky.

People will still ask. And if the thread is old and even updated, people may not want to read through pages and pages of posts. Plus there could be pages of threads that could be stickied. I did a thread once on another forum titled common asked questions. I had the question and then had a link to that thread. That way there is only one stickie to cover tens of common questions. Just my take on it.

vkb 07-28-2017 09:50 PM

We have used Garmin products for many years...we bought the 760 with lifetime updates...it has served us well.
We, often, refer to Google maps, especially for the satellite view of an area.
We have all the settings on our Garmin to our personal preference and it serves us well.
We often lose cell phone reception...the only time we lost Garmin signal was in the middle of the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO !

jjcrawfish 07-28-2017 10:07 PM

I don't blame you I would never use the Tom Tom in the first place. I had a Rand McNally and loved it, except for needing a Windows or apple computer to be able to update. (I use Chrome) The mcnally died after a year and was discontinue so I switched to Garmin rv 770. So far not as good, but I can do direct updates without a computer.

jjcrawfish 07-28-2017 10:12 PM

The problem with vehicle GPS or Google maps is not only putting RV dimensions in but they tend to take you on short cuts through neighborhoods and back roads like it does for cars.

jjcrawfish 07-28-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glamperjan (Post 80069)
Google Maps I never use my TomTom anymore

Google maps will also take you on short cuts through neighborhoods and back roads like you are a car.

Mo_Mike 07-28-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkb (Post 80113)
We have used Garmin products for many years...we bought the 760 with lifetime updates...it has served us well.
We, often, refer to Google maps, especially for the satellite view of an area.
We have all the settings on our Garmin to our personal preference and it serves us well.
We often lose cell phone reception...the only time we lost Garmin signal was in the middle of the Eisenhower Tunnel in CO !

At least it is hard to get lost in Eisenhower tunnel...

Mo_Mike 07-28-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sforl (Post 80011)
I bought the Garmin 770. There are many features that I find very useful, but as a basic GPS, so far I find it lacking!
The data base seems to be limited! So far it has only been able to locate about 40% of the addresses I enter. Google maps has this info, but the Garmin does not! The navigation system on my 2006 Acura which data was updated 5 yrs ago has this info, but not the Garmin! ( yes I've download all the latest everything on the Garmin)
I've mostly used it for the moving map and the other functions like clearance warnings, gas stations and etc.
I'll be curious to see if other 770 owners have this same problem.

We have never had this issue with our 760. We have taken it for trips in the car when we first got it just to test. The GARMIN always found the destination and routed properly.

I haven't really tested the clearance aspect but I think taking it on some not high enough routes in the car might be a good test.

On ours we have already had two updates in six months, and, so far all roads have been current. We did have to add an additional SD card for the last update, but that was only 14.00 for the maximum memory.

We always confirm routes on a secondary method anyway, but so far the routes have been accurate, the voice recognition good, and the text to speech easy to understand.

Oh, and the Bluetooth is a BIG improvement over THE AXXERRA...

wredman 07-28-2017 11:58 PM

I route by picking a point on the map, Garmin is terrible for inputting addresses and data.

Garmin will eventually correct for your typical speed traveled, and use that when determining routing.

Copilot lets you input your typical speed for generic types of road immediately, this is really good for routing specific to RV usage. I dont know if it has low clearance data or not.

Google maps is the best for current traffic and routing around issues - including stop lights, but it thinks you are a car. My older Garmin has major city traffic feeds only, newer units may have better/larger data source.

gbrown 07-29-2017 12:11 AM

I love my Garmin 760 RV. Lifetime maps. I keep it mounted above the speedometer. I can see the speed without taking my eyes off the road.Also, if I am speeding, the MPH turns red.

Either the Rand or the Garmin are good. Whatever you chose, make sure that you can input the RV's length, height, width, and weight. It keeps you from going under low overpasses, narrow alleys, and bridges that can't take the weight.

Mo_Mike 07-29-2017 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrown (Post 80145)
I love my Garmin 760 RV. Lifetime maps. I keep it mounted above the speedometer. I can see the speed without taking my eyes off the road.Also, if I am speeding, the MPH turns red.

Either the Rand or the Garmin are good. Whatever you chose, make sure that you can input the RV's length, height, width, and weight. It keeps you from going under low overpasses, narrow alleys, and bridges that can't take the weight.

I agree with you on the speed readout. I can't see the speed on the regular speedometer without looking down instead if at the road. The 760 is great for that.

robatcgu 07-29-2017 04:48 PM

Well just returned from first trip with Garmin RV660. Boston out to Utah and back the long way. 6300 miles, 23 states and the GPS was great. Even the voice control worked on the occasions I tried it! The family was using Google/Apple maps and the Good Sam app to find destinations, and then relying on the 660 to get us there. Well worth the spend.

Mike in AZ 07-29-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robatcgu (Post 80225)
Well just returned from first trip with Garmin RV660. Boston out to Utah and back the long way. 6300 miles, 23 states and the GPS was great. Even the voice control worked on the occasions I tried it! The family was using Google/Apple maps and the Good Sam app to find destinations, and then relying on the 660 to get us there. Well worth the spend.

I'm happy to read that! I just purchased a Garmin RV660 LMT also. It was significantly less expensive than the 770/760 models, and the difference in features didn't appear worth it to me. Haven't Road tested it yet, hope to next week.

16ACE27 07-29-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in AZ (Post 80227)
I'm happy to read that! I just purchased a Garmin RV660 LMT also. It was significantly less expensive than the 770/760 models, and the difference in features didn't appear worth it to me. Haven't Road tested it yet, hope to next week.

Mike; I hope your RV660 works better for you than it has for me to date. There appears to be a serious problem it its routing algorithms. Some examples:

When traveling from Tampa, Fl area to Omni Resort at Championsgate on I4, it routed us off the interstate at US27, to Ronald Reagan Pkwy, to Osceola Polk Line Rd when we should have continued on I4 directly to Osceola Polk Line Rd.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1336.png


It doesn't want to route me to my residence along the main road from the north even though there are no height/weight restrictions on that road. It always wants me to travel 10 miles out of my way to approach my neighborhood from the south.

Last weekend we traveled from Lake City, FL to Hanna Park in Jacksonville Beach, Fl. Even though we started from the east side of Lake City, it wanted me to travel west to US 441 to go north to I10 to go east to Jacksonville instead of just taking US90 east to I10 to Jacksonville. Since I ignored it and went that way anyway it finally caught on and changed the route, but instead of continuing on the road I was on to US90 (Baya Ave), it wanted me to take a direct left through a neighborhood to get to US90.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1350.png

The good news is: it was smart enough to route us around downtown Jacksonville on I295. BUT!! it insisted we needed to take the ferry across the St. Johns river to Mayport instead of taking I295 across the river and 116 directly into Hanna Park.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1354.png

It also wanted us to take the ferry home even though we were already on 116 west. The ferry would have cost $35 each way and added 30 to 45 minutes to the trip.

So use it as an input to your trip planning, but get other inputs as well.

sforl 07-29-2017 06:39 PM

Tfryman
I've had similar issues with my Garmin 770. On those occasions where it actually recognized the address I entered, instead of routing me the same way back it routed me a totally different way. Sending me miles out of the way! Why??
I would never depend on the Garmin along. I always use Google maps as well.

Jbird_in_SC 07-29-2017 09:26 PM

We use the Garmin RV660LMT and overall has been good to us so far. Also, I like the speed read out as it is more convenient to read than speedometer.

I do use Google Maps to compare and keep the Garmin honest. If I see a large discrepancy in arrival times between the two than I review both routes. The Garmin has tried to loop me around an area when I know the area is okay to travel through.

gbrown 07-29-2017 09:31 PM

I would be very careful to make sure that the RV dimensions and weight that you enter are correct. Ignoring the Garmin may be disasterous. I remember driving north on I-5 into the Portland area. My Garmin told me to take the truck bypass. I couldn't figure out why until I saw the underpass that the regular road used. I would have lost my air conditioner.

Mike in AZ 07-29-2017 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info on the 660. Great advice on using Google Maps or another source as a check, I do that when on long trips n my F150 also!

Greg84 07-29-2017 11:13 PM

I've also have a 760 and have had no problems with it until today......when it routed me into a very small parking lot for a water park in Dodge City, Ks. Grrrrr......the road used to exist but a building now stands there. Luckily I could circle around the lot and get out the way I came in, using the entrance as the exit was too tight a turn. What fun! :facepalm:

Typically I use Basecamp to plan and review my route on the 760. But unfortunately as of late my laptop won't recognize the gps. I also like to review each route using google maps satellite views. And if I would have done this I wouldn't have ended up in parking lot.

SuperD 07-30-2017 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg84 (Post 80296)
I've also have a 760 and have had no problems with it until today......when it routed me into a very small parking lot for a water park in Dodge City, Ks. Grrrrr......the road used to exist but a building now stands there. Luckily I could circle around the lot and get out the way I came in, using the entrance as the exit was too tight a turn. What fun! :facepalm:

Typically I use Basecamp to plan and review my route on the 760. But unfortunately as of late my laptop won't recognize the gps. I also like to review each route using google maps satellite views.

You need to do the map updates on a regular basis to keep everything current. Also, don't depend on satellite views, some of those can be years old.

Greg84 07-30-2017 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperD (Post 80323)
You need to do the map updates on a regular basis to keep everything current. Also, don't depend on satellite views, some of those can be years old.

I did a complete map update yesterday. I guess my point is use all resources available to plan your route. Technology is great, but it's not perfect.

RV Pirate 07-30-2017 12:46 PM

I've had issues with every GPS on every vehicle I've ever had from time to time. I don't think any of them are perfect. Seems like the GPS in my phone is about the most reliable, but obviously not RV friendly in regards to height and weight restriction, etc. My wife's nuvi in her jeep sometimes comes up with some pretty stupid routes. LOL

penguin 07-30-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfryman (Post 80241)
Mike; I hope your RV660 works better for you than it has for me to date. There appears to be a serious problem it its routing algorithms. Some examples:

When traveling from Tampa, Fl area to Omni Resort at Championsgate on I4, it routed us off the interstate at US27, to Ronald Reagan Pkwy, to Osceola Polk Line Rd when we should have continued on I4 directly to Osceola Polk Line Rd.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1336.png


It doesn't want to route me to my residence along the main road from the north even though there are no height/weight restrictions on that road. It always wants me to travel 10 miles out of my way to approach my neighborhood from the south.

Last weekend we traveled from Lake City, FL to Hanna Park in Jacksonville Beach, Fl. Even though we started from the east side of Lake City, it wanted me to travel west to US 441 to go north to I10 to go east to Jacksonville instead of just taking US90 east to I10 to Jacksonville. Since I ignored it and went that way anyway it finally caught on and changed the route, but instead of continuing on the road I was on to US90 (Baya Ave), it wanted me to take a direct left through a neighborhood to get to US90.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1350.png

The good news is: it was smart enough to route us around downtown Jacksonville on I295. BUT!! it insisted we needed to take the ferry across the St. Johns river to Mayport instead of taking I295 across the river and 116 directly into Hanna Park.
https://content.screencast.com/users...07-29_1354.png

It also wanted us to take the ferry home even though we were already on 116 west. The ferry would have cost $35 each way and added 30 to 45 minutes to the trip.

So use it as an input to your trip planning, but get other inputs as well.

Could you have set the GPS to avoid ferrys.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2