Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Forum Admin and Announcements (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Generator will not start. (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2/generator-will-not-start-8515.html)

Brakeman48 07-28-2017 07:14 PM

Generator will not start.
 
Tried to dry camp this weekend. RV has been sitting at repair shop for 7 weeks so it was not plugged in to House electric. A 2016 Hurricane 35C.
Drove to campsite. Slides went out, lights worked, fridg on, but, no generator. Tried switch in panel above door. Tried switch by entrance door. Tried switch behind panel on generator. Nothing, no clicks or anything. Checked panel above door for battery charge. It showed full charge. Tried switch by door for USE or STORE. Generator "enable - test - run" light blinks Green.

Any ideas fron you other Thor owners? TIA

Brakeman48

Dragon70 07-28-2017 09:11 PM

Simplest things first... Start the engine and then try. I've had this happen to me as well. There just wasn't quite enough power in the batteries to kick it over and starting the engine provided that power.

Brakeman48 07-28-2017 10:49 PM

Sorry I should have included I had just driven 2 hours, parked the RV for an hour and the put the slides out and then tried to start the generator. After it would not start I did start the engine let it run about 20 minutes and tried the generator again but nothing. The other thing I recall is when I actuated the auto level jacks after it was level I got a read out "Low Voltgage"

Thanks for your first reply.

Dragon70 07-28-2017 11:00 PM

Just to clarify, did you try it with the engine running? if not it needs to be.

Brakeman48 07-28-2017 11:57 PM

Yes, I did try it with the engine running.. Thx

be happy 07-29-2017 09:59 AM

You did not say if you held the start switch down in the "prime" position. On mine its holding the switch to stop for about 5 sec. it takes 3 of 4 times doing this. The level jacks will always say low voltage unless the motor is running. The jacks are designed to operate with motor running.

SuperD 07-29-2017 10:39 AM

When you say it won't start do you mean it turns over but won't start or it won't turn over? If it turns over but doesn't start try holding down on the stop side of the switch for about 45 seconds to make sure the engine is primed then try starting. If it has been a long time since the generator was started your fuel bowl may be dry.

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the fuel bowl, after you've tried priming and it won't start, loosen the plug and make sure you are getting fuel.

Brakeman48 07-29-2017 01:24 PM

It's not even turning over. I understand the earlier post about priming but believe it must be an electrical issue since it does not crank. Not even a click or buzz wether the coach engine is running or not.

Thanks to all that replied. This forum is made up of some great knowledgable people....

Hittntherooad 07-29-2017 01:37 PM

Did you try the start switch at the generator?

16ACE27 07-29-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hittntherooad (Post 80199)
Did you try the start switch at the generator?

According to his first post, yes.

Brakeman48 07-29-2017 04:50 PM

Thanks Tfryman

SuperD 07-29-2017 08:35 PM

Brakeman, check the the 100 amp battery breaker in the battery compartment, it the little yellow flag is flipped out its tripped, flip it back in to reset. Check voltage at the battery terminals on the generator., you must not have power there for some reason.

Wrpt58 07-29-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperD (Post 80264)
Brakeman, check the the 100 amp battery breaker in the battery compartment, it the little yellow flag is flipped out its tripped, flip it back in to reset. Check voltage at the battery terminals on the generator., you must not have power there for some reason.

Agree SuperD. I found as me problem with gen start after I tried jumping house batteries from a charger. Problem is if you don't know what to look for on those breakers, it's easy to miss. I haven't had any experience with those type circuit breakers til then.

Brakeman48 07-29-2017 11:03 PM

SuperD and Wrpt..

Thank you! I will check that tomorrow. Had to leave MH at campsite due to an unrelated issue.

Brakeman48 07-29-2017 11:09 PM

SuperD and Wrpt58,

I'm sitting here at home away from the MH and this issue keeps working my mind. If that 100 amp breaker had flipped yellow flag out , open and triggered the flag how would I have been able to put out the slides and lights and fridg working? I was dry camping so NO electric hook up.

16ACE27 07-30-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakeman48 (Post 80294)
SuperD and Wrpt58,

I'm sitting here at home away from the MH and this issue keeps working my mind. If that 100 amp breaker had flipped yellow flag out , open and triggered the flag how would I have been able to put out the slides and lights and fridg working? I was dry camping so NO electric hook up.

On my ACE there are 2 of those type breakers in the battery compartment, not sure why or what each one supplies but I could see if one was tripped and one not that could provide that type of symptom.

Brakeman48 07-30-2017 01:02 AM

TWO breakers could be the possibility and why the other things worked but gen did not.

Thanks to all! I will check tomorrow and post solution if I have one.

Brakeman48 07-30-2017 05:39 PM

Went back to the MH with test equipment. Batteries checked OK for voltage and Load. Gen still would not crank and Jacks would not retract. ??? Auto Leveler reads Low Voltage. Went to battery compartment looking very closely I found TWO 50 amp breakers with one of them tripped. Yellow flag in out position. These are very hard to see on my Hurricane 35C. At right side of battery compartment hidden behind both batteries and all the wires. Reset the yellow flag by pushing in on it to close it. Heard a definite "click". Gen started right up and Low voltage indicator on Leveler gone. Jacks up and we were on our way home.

A BIG thanks to ALL you led me in the right direction. This is one to remember.

Brakeman48

SuperD 07-30-2017 07:07 PM

Glad you found the breakers! Keep an eye on them, if the breaker trips again I would not reset it until I found the problem. While you're at it check all the connections you can see or get to, might find a problem, might not. I'm hoping you don't find anything and everything goes well now!

At least now you know where the breakers are and probably won't forget! Lol

Dragon70 07-30-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakeman48 (Post 80381)
Went back to the MH with test equipment. Batteries checked OK for voltage and Load. Gen still would not crank and Jacks would not retract. ??? Auto Leveler reads Low Voltage. Went to battery compartment looking very closely I found TWO 50 amp breakers with one of them tripped. Yellow flag in out position. These are very hard to see on my Hurricane 35C. At right side of battery compartment hidden behind both batteries and all the wires. Reset the yellow flag by pushing in on it to close it. Heard a definite "click". Gen started right up and Low voltage indicator on Leveler gone. Jacks up and we were on our way home.

A BIG thanks to ALL you led me in the right direction. This is one to remember.

Brakeman48

Another great tip/fix for the solutions database... oh wait there isn't one! Instead this will be buried in pages of posts and no way to readily find for someone that may experience the exact same problem. Thank you Brakeman for letting us know the solution.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2