Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   CB Radio (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/cb-radio-9087.html)

suenmike 09-03-2017 03:52 PM

CB Radio

Does anybody have advice on installing a CB Radio? We have a 2016 Miramar 34.2. Really the issue is the antenna. Not looking to drill holes, but if someone has done this and was successful then I will listen to what they did. Thanks

Travelin' Texans 09-03-2017 04:15 PM

Sorry, haven't had a CB in over 25 years, since cell phones got popular. Do people still use them?

Beau388 09-03-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suenmike (Post 86583)
Does anybody have advice on installing a CB Radio? We have a 2016 Miramar 34.2. Really the issue is the antenna. Not looking to drill holes, but if someone has done this and was successful then I will listen to what they did. Thanks

There are several "through glass" CB antennas. The problem is there is not a "metal ground plane" for the antenna in an RV; thus, there is little strength in the transmitted signal. The ground plane does not effect reception.

suenmike 09-03-2017 05:36 PM

Thanks Beau, I did try the through glass antenna, very poor performance.

Jegdrum5050 09-03-2017 05:50 PM

Can you try going up the area the radio wire goes through to the roof? Looks like on mine that would be easy to do.

suenmike 09-03-2017 05:52 PM

I'll take a look at that, not a bad idea.

revjeffrey 09-03-2017 10:55 PM

I always keep the hand held type CB Radio in our rig.
When dead stopped on the interstate, truckers traveling in the opposite direction relay information about the wreck or situation up ahead and how many miles up the road it is. Once on Christmas Eve we were stuck on the Kentucky toll road for 8hrs, snow storm blockage. Was nice getting updates.
...I don't worry about outside antenna because I'm only interested in immediate surroundings.

RadioRanger 09-04-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau388 (Post 86596)
There are several "through glass" CB antennas. The problem is there is not a "metal ground plane" for the antenna in an RV; thus, there is little strength in the transmitted signal. The ground plane does not effect reception.

An even larger issue is that some windows have small metal fragments in them now for tinting. This messes up the thru the glass type of coupler pretty good. It is worse at VHF. Gotta get it up higher in the front cover or outside it seems.

A long time back I saw a list of manufacturers that are using this metal in the glass for tinting. I do not see that list now. But maybe there is one out there. I suspect most use it now and it is not just on the parts of the glass that are obviously tinted, but spread thru the piece of glass.

John