Thor Forums

Thor Forums (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   winter camping (https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/winter-camping-9462.html)

wild bill 09-30-2017 03:42 AM

winter camping

Has any body camped in winter with water in holding tank and pump on
with out freezing Ace 29.4

Black and Gray holding tanks being enclosed and 1 small heat duct will it keep from freezer

Can you use coach heater when driving down the road

steve76 09-30-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild bill (Post 90949)

Black and Gray holding tanks being enclosed and 1 small heat duct will it keep from freezer

I was checking this subject on Utube. lot's of different and good information from some that do winter camp.

gmc 09-30-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild bill (Post 90949)

Depends on definition of 'winter'....

Morning frost.. lows near 30... warming during day...
I'd have minimal concerns if running heater inside. Would likely disconnect any external water connections (city water) at night.

If getting into low 20's - would start getting more concerned about external drain lines... adding antifreeze to holding tanks to get down there...
Your RV will be consuming propane at a rapid rate.

Below that I would be treating the RV as not having water... Fully winterized and drained - and use bottled water and external facilities...

I've certainly been in the 'morning frost' category... and woken up to 4-6 inches of snow on the rig (Christmas in Arkansas - go figure considering we left from Michigan!).

YES - you can run your heater/furnace - or for that matter ANY onboard appliance while on the road.. Obviously needs propane on (and you will get different opinions on that - but many do so...)

Just my opinion... worth what you pay for it.. :)

revjeffrey 09-30-2017 01:48 PM

For winter storage with selective winter use. I drain the fresh water tank fill it up with about 8 gallons of rv antifreeze go around the rig and run every single item till pink starts coming out that way I can use my rig in the winter and we use the antifreeze to flush the toilet and nothing freezes. Haven't had an issue in 20 yrs. We Cook & Drink bottled water. Shower @ campgrounds & use hand wipes with bottle water 4 winter use. Use bathroom a lot, refill tank with rv antifreeze.

Hickorybill 10-09-2017 02:14 AM

Any problems operating slide outs in 20F weather?

I'm new to Rv's but have done winter tent camping.

I am wondering how the slides work in the cold?

wild bill 10-09-2017 02:27 AM

Not for sure about ace 29.4
my old Georgetown slides work great
Will see this winter if ace slides work

gmc 10-09-2017 12:00 PM

Cold alone I would expect to be fine...
Snow and ice might add some challenges if trying to extend - or more likely retract.
Haven't had current rig with slides in snow yet . Last one was, but no slides.

JamieGeek 10-09-2017 12:04 PM

If you have the furnace on and its toasty warm inside before you extend the slide(s) there will be no issues as the slide will also be toasty warm.