Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I don't like the idea of running the generator for TV and other AC-dependant utilities. I imagine the cigarette lighter Jack's are tapped into the starter battery. Does anyone know if that's true?
What powers what varies from rig to rig... Set your coach battery to STORE - and see what still has power - most likely those will be coming from the chassis battery. (some have found coach batteries still have a drain when in STORE - why I said 'most likely')

Really is little in the RV that needs AC. TVs, Microwave, A/C (assuming propane fridge since a residential fridge unit would have an inverter already.)
I carry a small plug in inverter but have rarely used it. I added a 12v TV and Bluray player in the bedroom, a 12v adapter for my laptop, a few 12v USB outlets. When boondocking, I only start the genny if I need A/C or microwave (neither of which would be practical on inverter in my setup).

As Whirnot suggested - try some camping and see.
Inverter/battery/solar setups vary widely - typically the first question needing answering is what do you expect to draw in watts, and for how long? Then a suitable system can be designed. Of course the price tag follows the amount you need.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum