Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #32
ducnut

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Illinois
THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVSFLA View Post
Two thoughts. We have a new Freedom Elite 30' with one house battery. Dry camping overnight with just the coach radio playing all night, water pump and a few lights off and on discharges the battery to nothing. I have also found that the coach radio mounted in the dash of the cab is only tied to the house battery. The coach battery charges from shore power or from the generator but not from the truck alternator. This doesn't seem right to me, but is that the way it is set up or do I have a problem? If so any ideas. Lastly I want to install a second house battery wired in parallel but would also like to install a selector switch (like you would have in a marine application). Has anyone done this or want to talk me out of this?
I had the same thing happen to me, with a single battery.

Your coach’s electronic wizardry requires a minimum voltage to function. Without your house battery having any voltage, the electronics aren’t going to properly operate and allow charging from your powertrain. An easy way to tell is when you push your coach’s main switch and you don’t hear any clicking from the electronic systems. I jumpstarted my generator, to get things functioning again. As soon as I hooked up the cables, I could hear the coach’s electronics click. When I upgraded my stereo, I had the shop replace the original battery with 2 new, deep-cycle, Interstate batteries. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, they used the positive of one battery and the negative of the other battery, as it should be. Also, your coach’s main switch must be turned on for the powertrain to charge the house batteries, while driving down the road.

Lastly, Sterling Power USA has a bunch of marine-grade, 12V accessories for switching, charging, etc.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.