Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #83
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Those are a bit different as they don't have the lift piece and clearly don't lift the motorcycle as high up either.
No doubt keeping the total weight and height low will help. Having said that, the biggest problem to overcome are weight distribution, and bending stresses on the frame. This last part gets unmanageable when the motorhome already has a long rear frame extension.

For example, while my van is much smaller than the two Coachmen in the pictures above, the rear orverhang is much shorter, which helps a lot. Adding a 1,000-pound load behind my rear bumper will only unload front wheels by 500 pounds, so rear axle will see an extra load of 1,500 pounds. In my case that's well within axle and tire load ratings.

I'd expect that in most Class Cs adding a 1,000-pound load (motorcycle plus carrier) behind bumper would overload rear axle and/or tires. I'd also expect frame rails could get stressed too high because of the long moment arm. Handling would likely be unacceptable also. These things can't be seen on a picture of a parked motorhome.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum