Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
What's lowest temperature you've used ACE without winterizing?

I have a trip planned for next week, and now the forecast has turned ominous. There is no way my wife is going to be up for winterizing and flushing with RV antifreeze and having no running water, so that's out.

My options are go or cancel.

So, has anyone used their ACE in temps as low as the teens at night and barely breaking freezing during the day?

If I go, to supplement the furnace, I would have ceramic heaters in the coach, and I bought four small 200W ceramic heaters for the four bays with tanks/pex and also got some Reflectex foil bubble insulation I thought I could line the cargo bays with.

At the moment the forecast is calling for highs/lows of:

31/27 (day going)
39/24
29/17
33/22 (day leaving)

I'll have the ability to refill my propane if needed. I'm pretty sure that other than my unlikely event of my furnace going out or the regulator freezing (never thought of that until I recently read about that happening to Palazzo owners), I think I'll be ok if it gets no lower than 17.

As I've been finishing my RV garage, I've had it non-winterized in the mid to low 20's multiple times, with some supplemental heat (air dryers that only put out about 70 watts in the cargo compartments and one 1500 watt ceramic heater in the coach) and the furnace set to come on at 55 (with me not in it) and the bays have all stayed 50* or higher.

However, on those days the daytime temps always recovered to the 40's or so. This will be low nights and low days, which is uncharted territory.

I have accurite temperature gauges in the four compartments with tanks/pex, plus one inside and one hanging from the handle outside the door to be able to remotely monitor the temps, which is why I know exactly how cold the inside and bays have gotten.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.