Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Rough Trip
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
tnedator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
The pump kicked in today around 2pm, so I know it's not broken but...
The only faucets I could get to run were the cold taps on both the bathroom sink and shower. the cold tap does not work on the kitchen sink and none of the hot water taps are working as of 8pm. My theory is that the bathroom is on the sunny side of the RV while the lines from the water heater are on the side nearest my house where the sun doesn't hit the RV directly. I see where our forecast for tomorrow is calling for a high of 34, so I'm hopeful something may happen then. I've been pretty impressed by the durability of both the pump and the lines. I''m not seeing any signs of leakage either inside or outside of the RV. Maybe my luck will hold as I wait for the hot water lines to thaw.

I was also able to reach up behind the radio and found a plug that seemed like it might have been lose. I pushed it into place and when I started the RV the rear camera came on, but I have not had the rig back on the road so I don't know if it will still work after I hit a few North Central Arkansas potholes.

I complained to Thor about the lack of response I've had (in the past) with Camping World in North Little Rock. They suggest I try a new dealership about an hour from my house (2 hours closer than the NLR Camping World.) I'm hoping I can get them to at least file for warranty coverage. My plan is to visit them when the temps get a bit warmer. Maybe they'll have some ideas for Awning replacement.

Feeling a little better about things tonight. We'll see how things progress.
Just a thought for next time. You don't need to keep the inside at 70+, because your furnace should have ducts going into the storage areas with water. In my 30.3, I have four compartments with Pex, the one with the outdoor fridge unfortunately has no furnace. I think they believe the heat from the fridge running along with only 1/4" ply between it and the house will keep it warm.

The other compartments are fed by the furnace. To save fuel, you could set your temp to something like 50* inside. However, even that likely won't be enough, especially if like mine, your dump area is fed from a heating duct on the other side of the coach (pass through compartment where the black/grey tanks are). So, you really need some supplemental heat in those compartments, since they have zero insulation. For mid 20's, I've found the little fanless heaters intended to reduce humidity (davis dryers) work good.

For the temps we've had in Arkansas this past week, you need more. In case you are caught in this situation again, I would buy a few 200 watt ceramic heaters Honeywell and Lasko both make some that are around $20 or less a piece (honeywell's has tip over protection, which I think is better) and you would likely be OK if you had your coach set to 50 or so and had heaters in the bays with Pex, BUT that's really pushing the limits of these ACE's and their minimal insulation.

I was due to go up to Branson last week with my sister and her family, and I bailed, because I didn't trust my ACE in those temps, including the possibility of the regulator freezing.

Good luck, hope you escaped with little to no pipe damage. The awning situation sucks and is disappointing. I'll be sure to use mine only on sunny, windless days.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum