Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New to RVs
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #26
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishgrl View Post
thanks all for the helpful information. I am not very handy but am willing to learn. Can you take your motorhome into any other Thor dealership for repairs? I am assuming it is just like cars in that respect but just confirming. If/when I do buy, how long (or how much run time) do I need to have before taking it on a longer (800 mi) trip? It seems like I should be able to load it up and go but I see that I probably need to load it up, get it aligned and maybe drive it around town before I head out.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the always helpful and informative replies.
The willingness to learn is the first step in RV'ing as every trip is an adventure and education even if there are no problems with the coach.

Yes, while under warranty you can take the coach to any Thor Authorized service center for repairs. With some dealers, however, if you didn't buy the coach from them you may not get priority consideration when making an appointment. Also keep in mind, the good service centers could have long wait times to get in the door. Also, if you purchase an extended warranty, different dealers sell different products and not all dealers accept all extended warranties. Get the info on the extended warranty program before purchasing as do a couple of hours of research before you but. From my research most service departments hate the Good Sam (Camping World) extended warranty because they are difficult to work with and take to long before approving warranty repairs.

When you decide to purchase, inform the dealer you will not sign any paperwork, other than the offer, prior to a successful PDI. If you sign the paperwork, loan agreements etc... before the PDI you own the coach before the inspection. If you insist on the PDI before signing they have the incentive to fix issues found so they can deliver and officially sell the coach. Also, in my state (Virginia) there is no cooling off period when buying an RV. Unlike some states we do not have the customary 72 hours to change our mind. Don't get caught up in the sign, failed PDI, coach back in service department for 2 months while you are paying for the loan, plates, insurance etc...I have talked to folks that made that mistake and had to make 3 payments on the rig before they got to drive it off the dealer's lot.

With my coach the process was research (a couple of weeks), visit the dealer to tour the coach, negotiate the purchase (2 hours), think about it (24 hours), made the offer with conditions of sale (interest rate on loan, no payment for 90 days, valve extenders and vent covers at dealer expense) and list of initial items found, PDI with very minor items listed for future repair, sign all contracts and vehicle titling documents, drove it home (120 miles). Since I had a 30 AMP box installed on the house for my prior coach, I was able to full hook up in the driveway and test all systems with on a repeated basis. You can do this with a 1 or 2 night trip to a local campground with full hook ups.

My shake down cruise was scheduled for 4 days and 600 miles. Enjoyed it so much we extended our trip to 2 weeks and 1963 miles. Had a slide motor come unplugged at the second campground and after talking to Thor they authorized mobile service which I had to pay 90.00 and they are sending me a check.

Since then little warranty items are handled by me and if they require parts (e.g. bulb seal) I talked to Thor and they mail the parts. I need to call them again because the sent me the wrong style bulb seal but I'd rather have the coach in my driveway waiting rather than at the service department waiting.

Sorry this is long but hopefully it helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum