Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
New Engines And More -- RV Related

There has been a lot of exciting news recently regarding new engines, transmissions, and electrical systems that will affect RVing to some degree. It could be fun to discuss some of these developments here.

Ford F-150 will soon have 3.0 liter V6 diesel option rated at 250 HP and 440 lb-ft of torque. Both of these, and also tow rating, appear higher than RAM 1/2-Ton diesel pickup's; also a 3.0L V6. The Ford will come with a 10-speed transmission.

Chevy Silverado will also enter 1/2-Ton diesel market, but with a 3-liter inline-six. Chevy claims it will lead in power and torque, so greater than Ford F-150? A small-displacement I-6 is great news.

RAM 1/2-Ton 1500 gasser will soon have 48-Volt eTorque assist. Reportedly the mild hybrid will be standard on V6 and optional on V8s. I'm glad to see 48-Volt system coming to US courtesy of Fiat Chrysler Automotive. As I've mentioned before, I think it's inevitable that 48-Volt systems will become the norm for RVs. This is a great first step in that direction.

The previously-discussed Ford V10 replacement with a more powerful and fuel efficient V8 looks like it may be 7.3 liters in size. There is no confirmation on displacement but makes some sense that it's greater than 7 liters (as initially reported) since the program was 7.x L V8.

Mercedes will introduce a new Sprinter soon in Europe (next month), to follow production in US factory for North America later. Reports claim it will have both gas and Diesel engine options. Since Mercedes has brand new 3-liter inline-sixes in both gas and diesel, and with 48-Volt mild hybrid systems, chances are good that future Sprinters will have straight sixes also.

Please share any thoughts or additional information you may have run across. From a drivetrain standpoint, there are presently more major changes on the horizon than I recall in decades.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.