Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I am not sure if the charger/converter on my 2015 Windsport is one that drops the charge rate to a maintenance level, but I suspect that since I had to add water every once in a while, it charged at too high a rate for long term storage. I have replaced both coach batteries with maintenance free, AGM, deep cycle batteries, so when being stored, I disconnect the batteries from the coach with a switch and attach a battery maintainer specifically designed for AGM batteries. I just changed the engine battery to a maintenance free lead acid battery and use a .750 mA Battery Tender to keep that battery maintained.
Unfortunately, the converter/charger Thor installs is very unreliable. If you get a good one, you are lucky. Buy a cheap volt meter and hook it up to your coach batteries and you can easily tell if your charger goes into maintenance mode or if it starts out in high charge mode. Many do not do that. If it does not go into maintenance mode, it will destroy your batteries. Progressive Dynamics makes a replacement which I have found works as it is supposed to and is easy to install. The charger is also supposed to start out at 14.1 to more quickly charge the batteries. Mine never did that either which means it took a lot longer to recharge the batteries. Many of us have purchased trickle chargers (either solar or regular) and installed disconnect switches (or use the 50 amp breakers) to disconnect the batteries from any drain.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum