Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Apple TV in ACE
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Everyone has an opinion. As a former IT Pro (for over 25 years) I like Apple products because they are solid and only require infrequent support. Thank goodness for Windows and Android products as they gave me something to support for all of that time!

Going back to the OP's post, he has the right idea - I say get the MiFi cranked up and use it for its intended purpose. Then you will have a WiFi network to share anything you want. We have 2 Apple TVs, 2 Xbox Ones and Roku and run them all through a MiFi. We have an AT&T Unlimited plan, it is $20/month to add the MiFi to it and worth every penny. We are heavy streaming users as well as playing multiplayer games on Xbox.
I was able to fully join the Apple walled garden when I retired from the corporate world. I had a very bad flashback when I was resurrecting an older Windows laptop and updating it to Windows 10. It was old enough that the Windows 10 installer wouldn’t do the upgrade. I had to do a complete disk drive wipe and clean Windows 7 install, including the hack to fool it into validating my Win 7 upgrade disk. I’d been messing with getting XP to run on it for some software a client used, and even though I’d installed Win 7 again, apparently there was enough XP crap left on the drive to make Win 10 choke. Thanks Microsoft.

Then two full days of updates (and multiple update fails) to Win 7 to get to point where it was able to even run the Win 10 installer. Finally got it on the 3rd day. While Apple hasn’t been able to entirely keep up with “It just works”, all it takes is one episode of wresting with Windows to appreciate how well Apple stuff works compared to the alternative. I have a 6 year old MacBook Pro that is running High Sierra and working like the day I got it.

Good chance I will revive the Mifi once we get back out on the road. The iPhone hot spot works well, but when its acting as the router it acts like it can’t see its own wireless network. I do have an old Roku that I may try. I thought of upgrading the Apple TV, but with the POS Sieki it hardly seems worth it.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum