Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
Thx DenverTransplant I'm gonna order it right away. So glad we have this forum. 1 more question on plugging my tow dolly in to the plug at hitch do I just plug it in to the eight prong at hitch and it should work with my roadmaster tow dolly?
You should have a 7 pin round plug at the back of the coach - but that depends upon what the manufacturer gave you. Whether it works or not with your dolly depends upon what the dolly manufacturer gave you. If you want to power your toad lights, or use magnetic ones on the toad, you may have to do some wiring yourself or buy a splitter cable.

I have an American Car Dolly that came with its own brake controller. There was a 7 pin plug on the dolly that plugged into the controller an a 4-pin cable that plugged into the tow vehicle. I had an adaptor and a Y cable to split off the wiring for the lights I put on the back of our Mini. I can't remember all of the details as I've since gotten rid of the on-dolly controller.

I didn't really like the ACD controller (too sensitive and I had to get out of the coach to disable it when the Mini wasn't on the dolly.) I ended up taking off the brake controller and using my Tekonsha. In order to do that I put a waterproof terminal box on the dolly tongue (you can buy them with 7 terminals) and a new 7 pin cable. I then tapped a 4 pin cable to the terminals for the lights. Not a terribly hard job, but you do need to keep your wire colors straight. In our case, the cable that ACD used didn't use standard wire colors so I had to trace which wire went to which pin in their cable. There are lots of places on the internet to find out what the pin designations are. One sample is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Plug.png
Views:	201
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	8832  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.