Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
Thehobe1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
After reading several awesome posts about mounting a spare tire under the coach I set out to attempt it. While I was blocking the tire up so I could measure for some sort of cross bracket to go between the frame rails I noticed the back of the receiver hitch is open and just the right height. I had some spare 2" square stock left over from another project that was just the right length~20" long. With the tire under the coach (wheel offset down) I inserted the tube into the receiver ~3", the other end was now completely supporting the wheel. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the square tube and bolted the wheel to the square tube with a locking nut. For the other end i drilled a hole through the receiver and the square tube and bolted them together. I think it came out awesome, the tire is very secure and it was super simple.
Love your idea and I was looking at that same area for mounting a spare tire/wheel. I measured the distance from the wheel lug opening to the edge of the tire at around 19" and adding 3" for the receiver, I estimate a 22" 2x2 as a minimum. Please remeasure or confirm that the tire fits in above the rear crossmember to get by with 20" length. Please also let me know what gauge 2x2 you are using (I am an EE and am not familiar with metal stuff). The supplier you mentioned offers 3 different gauges and I dread drilling through a very heavy piece of square pipe. It would also be nice to make this mounting be steal-proof as I have had spare tires stolen before and I have no idea when or how that happened!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.