Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Entry step
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
VJRocky

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on these steps. I have the same problem on my 2014 Hurricane 34E. I purchased this unit in 2015 with 3600 miles. At that time there was a recall on the steps, and the dealer replaced them. Just recently they have worked on and off. Currently not deploying. I have already checked the rocker switch, which is working and getting power. The door reed switch and corresponding screen contact are in place. Next I will have to locate the fuse and check the motor. Any additional help for what else to check is appreciated including where to look for the fuse. I have a fuse block under the bed, and one under the driver's section. There is another fuse panel under the hood. Thanks to all

Vince
Okay, so here is an update on my earlier post regarding the entry steps: I check the ground and found it to be good, but as a precaution I created a new ground. No help there. I checked all the wiring which seemed to be in new condition and properly connected. Checked the reed switch - working. The main wiring harness going to the stair board was folded and zip tied up to take up the slack. This was done during the stairs replacement at the dealer when I first purchased the MH. I broke the harness apart and opened the 4-way connector to check for corrosion or moisture - all looked good. Check continuity and power to the plug on the inlet side with the screen door open and then also closed. Didn't see any issue there. Then I reconnected the 4-way pug again - immediately the stairs deployed. So, I either have a faulty connector/connection at that location or possibly a broken wire or connector pin. As a precaution, I also remove the after market stair treads (I did this after the stairs worked) in case they were causing the steps to bind, affecting the motor in some way. Bottom line is that all is working as it should be. If this occurs again, then I guess I will change the 4-way connector. As an afterthought, I am wondering if the stair treads could cause the motor to freeze and when I disconnected the 4-way connector the lack of power to the motor freed it up. Just a thought though.

Thanks for everyone's help
Vince

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.