Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
RV Pirate

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I ordered RecPro LED light strip to place under my awning so I can have lights without my awning being out. I searched the forums but didn't see any specifics about who has done this and what they did as far as wiring.
I am thinking about wiring it to the same 12V wire the awning lights are on and place a rocker switch so I can go back and forth between the lights if I want to. but... before I reinvent the wheel, I would love to hear what others have done. I can also connect to the entry door light switch since that light is essentially useless anyway. Your thoughts and ideas? TIA
If your Challenger is like ours, you'd probably end up using or tapping into the switch leg for the outside door light to power your new lighting, since Thor used SPDT switches for both the awning and outside the door lights..

Thor used SPDT switches on our Challenger which means you have power to the empty terminal on the switch. These switches are commonly used for "3 way" lighting. (Turning a light on in one location and turning it off in another.)

If you connected to the blank terminal on the switch, you'll end up with an "either or" lighting situation. No way to turn off both lights since the switch position would dictate which circuit was powered. Thor sure has some wacky ways to do things.. I guess if they use the same switch everywhere, ( instead of a SPST where needed) it minimizes the chance of installing the wrong switch in the wrong location at the factory. Read idiot proof...well idiot resistant anyway.

Great idea about adding LED lights though. Please let us know how it turns out. Hope this helps. [emoji88]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum