Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Gee, thanks. Hadn't considered that.

I've stuffed a camera up both sides on the Axis and there is nothing there other than the radio antenna cable on the driver's side so there's not much that a little moisture would hurt. It's all glass, plastic, and fiberglass.

I'm going to guess ('cause I want it to be true ) that filling the voids will actually reduce air infiltration from the coach and maybe reduce condensation a bit? It may be worth tugging the stuff out and replacing it every couple of years though.

In the Axis the pillars rattle terribly as well as channeling wind and engine noise into the cab. They are only attached on one edge; the other edge is free to clatter and bang against the windshield. Packing the insulation has nearly eliminated that. I really don't want to go back to the din!

Randy
I'm not positive but I imagine my A pillars are similar to yours in that the bottoms are outside the cab and the tops are inside the cab, basically coming through the front corners of the dash. This in and of itself concerns me in that under normal operating there will be a difference in temperatures between the inside and outside section of the pillars creating the perfect situation for condensation. It could cause a condition where condensation builds up on the outside of the inside cab section of the pillars and you start seeing moisture on the inside trim pieces. Albeit, this may not occur during short trips or trips not requiring inside heat or AC use etc... but since I do go out in sub freezing temps early and late in the year, I can see where this may be an issue especially rolling down the road with the front window defroster running on high temp.

Also, although I did not yet look, you confirmed one suspicion that the A pillars must have holes for cables, unused bolt hoes etc.. which will allow air to enter into the pillars. My concern here is the build up of condensation over time and the infiltration of oxygen may allow the build up of corrosion on the inside of the pillars, thereby weakening their structural integrity over time.

I agree from just looking at the pillars that they are a funnel for noise wind and everything else. I wonder if anyone has found a birds nest in theirs yet?

Since I am not an expert in the area of insulation and condensation maybe my concerns are unfounded, but I don't think so. Just look at what happens with a cold beer after a minute out of the refrigerator or a container of warm food placed in the fridge. Also, in houses they put soffit vents and air channels in before insulating in an attempt to minimize condensation from being absorbed by the wood.

Bottom line for me is to not implement a short term or hasty fix that results in long term or expensive issues with corrosion of the A pillars.

Heck, maybe I'm over thinking this.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum