Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Except that a cold beer can is made out of aluminum: Aluminum transmits heat very efficiently (which is why pots & pans are made out of metal). Fiberglass is an insulator and thus you won't get the inside or outside temperatures "transmitted" across the fiberglass that would cause condensation in the first place.
Just brain storming here

Beer bottles, as well as soda bottles (which condense with temp changes) are also made from glass and plastic. Pots and pans are also made from steel, cast iron, and copper. If I am not mistaken when aluminum and steel are heated to the same temperature steel holds a higher temperature longer than aluminum during the cool down cycle.

On my coach the A pillar is not in what I would consider the engine compartment. My A pillars are 2 feet to the sides of the leading edge of the AC condenser mounted on the front of the radiator. Any cold air coming in the grill or through the wheel wells is being blown on the A pillars sections exposed to the elements. If I were a betting man I would wager on after an 8 hour drive the temp of the outside sections of the A pillar being closer to the outside ambient temperature than they are to the temp around the engine or inside the coach.

Fiberglass does not absorb moisture. Moisture will sit on fiberglass until it is channeled away or is absorbed by surrounding materials. Since steel does not absorb moisture there is the potential for moisture to collect on densely packed insulation if that is what is stuffed inside the A pillar. That moisture in contact with steel and in the presence of air has the ability to cause corrosion. There is a reason why, at least in Virginia, the building codes require an air channel between the roof sheathing and fiberglass bat insulation or an air channel from the soffit going higher than the level of blown insulation and blown insulation cannot be in direct contact with the roof sheathing. It all has to do with air circulation and moisture control.

Maybe the solution for the A pillars is some type of foam that will add in sound deadening, provide some level of insulation but allow for moisture to wick through and out. Maybe the solution is to install some type of setup that can be installed while traveling yet be removed when parked to allow for air circulation.

Maybe the solution is to wrap the A pillars with sound deadening and then cap the ends to eliminate wind without the use of insulation.

Maybe the solution is as simple as stuffing the A pillar full of fiberglass.

What I do know is that when I think about the cost of replacing an A pillar, I want to get it right or at least as close to right as possible. I plan on doing something but I do not want to create a mountain of trouble for a mound of comfort.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum