Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #14
Thehobe1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I am looking at the AGM Group 31 Duracell at Sam's for $160 x 2.

Does anyone know of a good buy on Lithium 100ah batteries?
WARNING, WARNING. Be very careful if you are intending to switch to LiIon batteries. I am an Electrical Engineer with lots of experience with LiIon batteries. The charging systems in automobles and RV's are woefully incompatible with LiIon batteries! LiIon batteries require careful and accurate charging parameters...that is why we see so many fires with hoverboards and airplane LiIon battery systems.
LiIon batteries require a 2% accurate maximum charging voltage to reach maximum capacity safely. They cannot experience over voltage due to high charging rates during top off charging. They require very low current charging while their charging from a low charge condition and a reduced charging rate when reaching their maximum charge state level. There are specialized integrated circuits with these techniques designed in such that these conditions can be met when charging from a higher voltage source such as an automotive generator or a 120VAC to 12VDC convertor used in RVs.
DO NOT JUST CONNECT A LiIon BATTERY DIRECTLY TO YOUR 12V LEAD ACID COMPATIBLE CHARGING SYSTEM OR YOU WILL HAVE A BIG BIG FIRE.

I do not have any knowledge of how these systems are being adapted to RV's so I may be wrong in some of my assumptions but be very careful when considering LiIon batteries to replace your 12V, deep cycle lead acid batteries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.