Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
bharrisv65

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Questions Scubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes3 View Post
While at MH in light rain, with awning at maximum pitch, no wind, and awning fully rolled out per instructions to prevent pooling...... the awning arm/bracket at one end ripped off the MH side. The bracket pulled out of the top two mounting bolts and thereby pulled the bottom bolt out of the wall. Photos will follow when I post again

Contacted Carefree and discussed. Pulled installation instructions from website. This is an OEM awning, not a consumer available awning. Installation instructions specify mounting the bracket arms with 4 evenly spaced bolts. Thor mounted it with two top bolts and one bottom bolt. Was referred to the OEM Carefree rep, but my emails apparently have fallen into a black hole.

Thor A. C. E

Scubes, so sorry you had a similar issue, just curious which awning you have? You mention only three bolts mounting to the MH, was it only on the one side or both? Do you have the wind sensor option on yours? You mentioned it was at maximum pitch, was that upward (almost flat) or downward? One IMPORTANT question, is your canopy mounted to the side of the MH or on the roofline (like mine)? The more I thought about it, this COULD be an issue since there would be a lot of the water coming off the roof channeling over the awning, not running down a rail to the side possibly. Just a few questions I'm curious about.

Mine is a Travel'r Adjustable Pitch model in black, was SUPPOSED to have the wind sensor but does not. The brackets mounting mine to the MH side have 4 screws (might be bolts but cannot tell yet since they are still attached), they aren't "evenly spaced" but there are two on top and two on bottom. These brackets were barely harmed, one side not at all, the moving arms on both ends were what was bent/destroyed.

I tend to agree with what TravelingTexan said about it not being a warranty issue (at least one that would be hard to prove) BUT, SOMETHING HAS to be the cause of this and it can't be from a normal rain. Like I mentioned before, this is our fourth RV and second with an electric awning and all of them have been out in significantly more rainfall but this is the only one to have failed and in a LIGHT rain.

You mentioned yours happened while you were in the MH, so even though I was gone, I doubt I would have caught it unless I just happened to look outside. With this having happened now, especially to someone else, then the awnings, in my mind, should NEVER be used except as shade against the sun, NEVER in ANY rain unless you are at the MH and you check the awning every 2-3 minutes to make sure no water is pooling on top, which is darn ludicrous! I'm going to continue to do some research to see if I can find others who've had a similar issue, or maybe us two are just dang unlucky!

I've attached some pics of my damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	9268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3043A.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	9270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045A.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	9271  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum