Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #139
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Just wondering where these "two red fuse holders" were? I was wanting to see if my issue was a bad fuse before I started rewiring the red wire from the BIRD...
In my configuration from the factory, I only had one fuse in the line to the orange ignition wire. I had no fuse, that I could find, in that red wire coming from the BIRD. When I cut the red wire (coach battery) I put a fuse in that line too. If your problem is the chassis battery is not charging on shore power or generator, I would check two things before I bought another BIRD.
1. Under shore power/generator, do you have power to coach battery side of the Trombetta? You should have the same voltage as at your coach batteries (13.1-14.1v or so). If you do, everything is working up to there and it isolates the problem to the BIRD/Trombetta.
2. Now you need to see if either the BIRD/Trombetta is bad or if the wiring is the problem. The easiest way to check that is to cut the red wire coming off the BIRD, plug into shore power/generator and check the voltage of that wire at the end not coming out if the BIRD. That wire should be feeding the BIRD the same voltage as at the coach battery. (Mine was hooked up incorrectly at the factory) if that voltage reads the same as at the coach battery, then the BIRD is wired correctly and your problem is probably a bad BIRD/Trombetta. If the voltage from that wire is not the same as the coach battery, put a 5 amp fuse in line with that wire and hook it up to the coach battery side of the Trombetta. Now the voltage from that wire will feed the correct voltage to the BIRD and it should work correctly. That is what I did and it has worked for two years without a problem.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum