Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #8
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When I had my unit at a local Cumins/Onan shop to get the generator's fuel pump replaced (they shipped a few out with bad fuel pumps) the tech there said:

He explained that most people avoid running the generator at all costs and then the carburetor gets all gummed up causing all kinds of issues. You're better off running it than not in their eyes (sure I suppose thats more business for them as well since you'll need more oil changes and maintenance but I'm sure it isn't much). In addition, if its really hot out, running the genny lets you run the rooftop A/C which cools the place down much better than the auto A/C.

In my case my son is always using his PlayStation as we go down the road so we just run the generator. I do tell him that we're only going to run it on the highway as it is a bit noisy on the outside and I don't want to drive around residential areas with the genny making a racket.

A warning about running a game console or DVD player while going down the road: That cabinet you have to put them in is all enclosed with no thought for cooling. For our PlayStation it will typically overheat in a couple of hours in there (can't drive down the road with the cabinet open unless you want all the stuff on the floor). I've thought about a few mods to fix this but haven't tackled it yet... Hmm A quick fix would be some child locks that let the doors hang open about 1/2" or so allowing ventilation but not letting them open any further--I'd want those to be removable though so when you're parked you don't always have to reach in to disengage the locks.
Jamie,

Have you thought about drilling a couple of holes in the cabinet and covering them with speaker mesh and then installing a small 12 volt fan over the holes to extract the heat? This should provide cooling similar to that on a computer case.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.