Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 03:16 AM   #7
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Progress report 3 - Dynamat Sound Deadening Installation

I was able to get a little accomplished tonight.

Here is a pic of the engine cover before I did anything. The existing insulation was full of gaps and there weren't air pockets, there were air rivers that was distorting the inside shape of the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Insul tape.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	438

Gaps in existing insulation

The first thing I did was tape all loose areas and eliminate the air rivers.

Name:	Insulation Taped.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	439

Gaps taped and air pockets removed

I then began installing the Dynamat sound deadening sheets

Name:	First section of Dynamat.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	440

I began on the sides of the engine cover

Here is a pic of the Dynamat Extreme completion. The completion took 2 sheets of the Dynamat Extreme.

Name:	Dynamat Ex Compl.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	441

After completing this two things became obvious. First when tapping on the side of the engine cover with a knuckle it no longer sounds hollow. It now sounds like hitting solid wood. Second the engine cover now weights about 5 pounds more than when I started. The Dynamat Extreme is some heavy stuff.

After completing the cover I set it over the engine and started the coach. With the installation there was a reduction in sound of 3 db at idle and 4 db at 1750 rpm. That is a 4 and 5 percent reduction respectively and I have not yet installed the hood liner and the engine cover was not secured with screws.

I am going to allow the engine cover to sit for a day or two. I want to ensure the weight of the Dynamat does not pull the existing insulation free and ruin the job. If everything stays in place I will install the hood liner later this week.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.