Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
SharkTank

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: Washington
THOR #7789
House battery issue

I'm having an issue with the house battery system on our 2017 Outlaw 37RB and I'd love some advice.

As soon as the coach is unplugged from shore power, I get zero power to the system -- zero lighting, central control panel is completely dead, not even the radio has power. Plug shore back in (or start the genset), everything works perfectly. Control panel lights back up, etc. The weird part is, the residential fridge running off inverter is working when unplugged from shore.

- The store switch is turned on, and I can hear the "click" of the solenoid when it's changed. I haven't investigated the location of the solenoid on the coach yet.
- The inverter reads 12.7V, with 8A input, .08kW output, running the fridge. Drops down to 12.4V after a few minutes use.
- With the chassis engine running, the inverter reads at 14.3V, 12A input, .15kW output.
- Turning off the inverter to remove the load doesn't help powering anything else.
- Coach has four 6V batteries, each are reading the same at about 6.37V on a multimeter. Dropped down to ~6.32V after maybe 30min testing. That's not very high, but doesn't seem super low either.
- Checked the water level in the battery cells, looks fine.
- Checked 100A battery disconnects in the battery compartment, they are closed.
- Cycled all the circuit breakers on the main panel, though none were tripped.
- There was some corrosion on one of the battery's negative terminal, assume from from undercharging. Cleaned it all off and sprayed it, with no improvement.
- Plugged it into shore power for two days.

The coach did sit over winter and I (foolishly) forgot to disconnect the batteries, but only left it in store mode and ran the engine and generator on occasion. It was not a very cold winter this year in Seattle. But maybe the batteries are toast. I would have thought it would not run the fridge off the inverter if that were the case. Or possibly a failed store switch or the solenoid? Is there maybe another fuse or breaker somewhere that would cause this?

Would very much appreciate any advice or diagnostic suggestions before I try a whole new battery set.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.