Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
DanChateau33SW

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Sounds like the wrong type of batteries are being used for the wrong application. Your starting (chassis) battery should be a 12V starting battery, but the house batteries should be deep cycle (either 6V or 12V.) You may want to consider replacing the house batteries with good deep cycle batteries, and move the starting battery to the chassis battery wiring. If they are sealed lead acid batteries, you may also want to check their water levels and top them off (cover the plates) every so often with distilled water. Constant charging tends to wreck SLA batteries as the fluid boils off and the level goes down, uncovering the lead plates and making them less effective. If you choose to replace them, I would recommend AGM (absorbed glass mat) deep cycle batteries as they are pretty much no maintenance batteries.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking they installed the wrong application of batteries also. If I change out the 2 batteries to 6V and still have the 12V deep cycle, am I going to have any problems? Seems that I wouldn't want to mismatch the system like that.

I would definitely go with AGM if/when I replace them. You get better aH and less maintenance. I was thinking also o fbuying pure lead batteries for more run time. Thoughts?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum