Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
DanChateau33SW

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Solar Installation Questions

I have been searching the site and haven't found the answers to my technical solar install questions. I know many of you have installed solar arrays on your coach, so I am hoping that you will be able to help answer a couple of technical questions. I'm an engineer by training, so technical and systems integration is what I do.

When I install the solar array and charger, I assume they are connected directly to the 12V DC bus. How does that impact the coach with the converter/charger also connected? When we are plugged in, both will be providing a charge current to the batteries. Do I need to worry about feedback between the 2 sources as I would with 2 non-synchronized AC sources?

I am looking at a Renogy 400W array, and have a Whirlpool residential fridge. I am assuming that the solar panels will not be sufficient alone to power the fridge, but will be able to at least significantly extend the time between re-charge starting of the generator.

We live in south Florida and most of our travel is within the state, but we do regularly travel up to GA and looking to take a few other, longer trips. It would be nice to stop over night at a rest area to sleep and not have to be woken up by the generator starting or the inverter alarming on a low voltage.

Any experience, recommendations, or general direction to go are definitely appreciated.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum