Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
iqraceworks

Brand: Crossroads
State: Missouri
THOR #4481
Exclamation Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on 05' Ford F250....not working right??

I recently picked up a nice used 05’ Ford F250 for pulling our travel trailer. It’s got one of the built in OEM Trailer Brake Controllers (TBC)…..and I can’t seem to get it to work right, I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction.

When I hook up the 7-way plug for the trailer, the TBC in the truck seems to recognize that there is a trailer hooked up. The display on the TBC turns green, and it allows me to adjust the gain setting on it. But when I have my wife squeeze the manual control on the TBC to send full power to the trailer brakes (gain set on 10), I’m only getting around 1.0v of power out of the pin inside the plug for the brakes…according to my volt meter. I’ve cleaned all the plugs, checked the wiring, everything looks good. The lights all work….just no power to the trailer brakes.

I’m not getting any errors…..it just doesn’t seem to be giving any power to the brakes. Do the integrated brake controllers on those older Ford have some sort of parameters that have to be met before they will apply power to the trailer brakes? Does the truck have to be in (D)rive? Does it have to be moving a certain speed before they start working? I’ve been doing some research online, and it sounds like they are way more complicated than they need to be.

I’m about at the point where I just want to bypass the OEM TBC and install an aftermarket unit.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.