Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharrington View Post
Bob, this is the first RV I've ever driven. Due to my inexperience, I did not drive over 55 mph during our entire 400 mile trip and still had steering and stability problems.

And "sorting out" is exactly why am asking questions in order to make the experience better.

Thanks for your help.
I have a much different opinion than most, and it is not based around equipment upgrades. I believe that like in sports, it takes lots of practice to get good at anything.

There is a huge difference between driving a car/SUV and a large truck/RV. If I were new to motorhomes, I’d only do the basic steps like an alignment and proper tire pressure, then drive it to first gain a lot of experience. It will get easier as you adapt to the differences.

Learning to drive a large truck when I was a teenager was similar to learning to ride a bike. In time you go from struggling to stay upright to being able to do tricks or handle emergencies. Same goes for driving — we shouldn’t expect too much on day one.

And following on this analogy, even after we have gained bike riding experience, trying to captain a tandem requires some of the learning process to repeat. Obviously not from very beginning because we can still keep it upright, but it takes time and many miles of additional practice to feel as comfortable.

Just saying a 3,000-pound car and 20,000-pound motorhome require different skills.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum