Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #49
thor293

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I have to wonder though, what are you giving up by reprogramming the system?

Perhaps it's as simple as Ford did so to meet fleet CAFE standards?

Or maybe, it is the best compromise for the general purpose use of the engines (meaning specific uses, such as RV's might warrant a reprogramming).

Or is there some unknown disadvantage, other than voiding the warranty?

I would want to know more before I did it.
They claim the reprogramming is all within Fords specs.
Obviously using a programmer is a personal choice. I really like the way it changed the transmission and cruise control.

Here is the info on transmission:
Shift Schedules – can be modified to an economy or towing calibration. An economy calibration up-shifts will be sooner. Towing calibration shifting will occur higher in the RPM ranges to keep vehicle from lugging and take advantage of the engines peak torque. In 2v V10’s that do not have Tow/Haul mode this can be beneficial when towing. On the 3v V10’s, the Ford Strategy is to NOT use all 5 gears in the Torq Shift transmission. Hard to believe I know. In non-tow/haul modes Ford uses only 4 gears when going up through the gearbox. With a custom tune from 5 Star we will use all gears in our shifting and torque converter lock strategies. You will also see quicker shifts, as the RV will proceed into OD quicker than stock strategy. This will provide better power and economy our of your 3v V10.

Torque converter control:
In all 2v and 3v V10’s Torque Converter strategies can be reworked to lock up sooner and stay locked longer at light cruising speeds to also help with economy…A locked converter is power to the ground. Some times a stock RV when you hit any incline the RV will unlock OD gear and down shift. We can get your RV to hold OD longer and not unlock… now of course on large hills it will down shift…like it should…
On the 3v V10’s, the Ford Strategy is to NOT use all 5 gears in the Torq Shift transmission. Hard to believe I know. In non-tow/haul modes Ford uses only 4 gears when going up through the gearbox. With a custom tune from 5 Star we will use all gears in our shifting and torque converter lock strategies. You will also see quicker shifts, as the RV will proceed into OD quicker than stock strategy. This will provide better power and economy our of your 3v V10.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.