Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #8
PictureTheSouth

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Welcome to the RV life, and to this forum (feels funny to say that, as we're also new to both).

But while new to RV's, I've driven the Alcan three times. Some recommendations....

1. Be prepared for gas prices on the Canada stretch - my last trip through averaged more than twice comparable price in continental US. (and be ready to convert CN/US dollar prices in your head; then convert liters to gallons).
2. Once you get to AK - fuel is still about 25% higher than CONUS - even though they "grow it there" Go figure.
3. See 1 and 2 - carry extra fuel if you can. There are several places where you can go long stretches without a fueling opportunity.
4. Spare tire(s) - my last trip on Alcan was in '02 mind you; but there were 3 stretches of over 50 miles of unpaved road at that time. Invest a few dollars in the current edition of "The Milepost" - official AK/CN travel guide.
5. Check the limits of your roadside assistance plan - hopefully you won't need it, but.....

Other than that? Have a great trip! Some of the greatest scenery (and wildlife, if you're observant and lucky) you'll ever see will be along the Alcan - and the Seward Highway from Anchorage to Seward or Homer.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum