Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #38
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For most drivers I think a warning light is the better solution, which avoids information overload and other distractions.

If pressure and temperature are within safe range then no need to view data. Once a tire deviates from normal range, then pop up a window with detail data. Obviously the geek in all of us should be able to view data at any time if desired.
The annunciator light is a very good approach. You're right about the needless distraction when all is well.

Not necessarily saying that in the case of TPMS this is true or not, BUT sometimes there is value in seeing relative data and trends, and having more information is helpful....
Is one data point way higher or lower than the others?
Are one or several of the data points in motion? (moving up or down)
that sort of thing....
Often the actual digits aren't as interesting as the big picture.

There's a company that makes aviation engine monitors
https://www.jpinstruments.com/
They started, as I recall, with instrumentation to only display temperatures of each cylinder. I see them advertised in aviation magazines all the time, and I've read several articles about them, and their displays. Apparently a lot of research and thought into showing what is important for different types of data.
I can totally imagine that a vertical bar graph display like theirs could be used very effectively for TPMS. The actual digits could still be displayed, but much less prominently. Instead with focus on relative levels and trends, perhaps with a color coded green, yellow, red to catch your eye.

I thought of one more point.... a gripe about my TST system as food for thought for your project.
When mine alarms, the display still scrolls through each tire on it's 5 second rotation. Because of that it's hard to tell which tire(s) are in alarm and what the problem actually is.
Is the tire totally flat so I need to hit the shoulder NOW?
....or just at the overpressure alarm point value because I'm driving through the desert in the summer, and all I need to do is slow down and find a safe place to pull over?
....I don't know, let's wait 30 seconds till it scrolls through all the tires and I try to keep my eye on the monitor and the road!
Not very good IMHO.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum