Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #17
steve76

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Bumper won't support spare tire? I weigh in the range of 230 and it supports me jumping up and down on the bumper with the spare on it. I didn't weigh the spare tire and wheel but in the 75-85 lb. range my best guess. The bumper itself is mounted to the end of frame with some 3/4" bolts and is at least 3/16ths" steel square tubing. Seems more than sufficient to support 85 lb. tire. Only weak spot would be the U-bolts that I used that are soft steel that may crack over time due to stress. I used standard U-bolts but plan on getting some hardened steel or stainless ones in near future. My bracket places the tire right up flush against the bumper. I'm 73 yrs. old and was able to lift up on stud and hold there with one arm while screwing on nut hand tight then torqueing to 80 ft. lbs. My rig is 22FE. Maybe the O.P. has different bumper?

If you use the standard type spare tire bumper mount that's made for a trailer tire, NO that type is to flimsy and hangs out to far from bumper and will no doubt fail. The bracket, not the bumper.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum