Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Steve70605

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Ranger View Post
Fellow RVers,
I have a new 2017 Palazzo 33.2 that does not seem to be able to maintain house batteries after two weeks in storage with batteries switch off. It only took 15 minutes on a trickle charger to get the generator started and power to 12.1 but this doesn't seem right to me. However, this is my first RV.

I was told the RV was pre-wired for solar panel so I thought that might be an option to install to keep batteries maintained. Is this the right option or should I purchase a solar trickle charger to maintain my batteries. Not sure where to go here. Looking for options.

I appreciate your expertise and assistance as I learn the ropes of RVing.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick,

There could be several causes to your issue. I had the same issue with my unit. My unit was on the lot for 9 months before I purchased. During this time, the batteries were not maintained as they should have been (dealers do not routinely maintain batteries). They are often left to discharge as someone forgets to urn off switch when exiting the coach after showing it, etc. Therefore when sold the batteries are in a state of poor maintenance... While they are able to be charged, the parasitic loads that remain even when the store switch is used run them down quickly. I tested my batteries with a load tester and specific gravity test after an equalizer charge to determine how bad they were. Since replacing them I have not had the issue.

As others suggest, I would test them to eliminate them as the issue. If not the batteries, you will have to utilize an ammeter to see what is drawing too much current.

FWIW

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum