Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
tinman01

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
No DC power without Tshore power

Hi, Trying to figure out the latest trouble with my Challenger MH.

The only time I have DC power for lights, slides, anything DC is when I'm on shore power and it runs off the Converter. The Inverter and everything it powers runs and always has AC power just no DC.

I have traced the trouble down to this box under the hood. The lugs on the side of the box are The top lug goes to the Chassis battery and is connected to the 2nd lug through a relay which goes to the Coach batteries and there is power to both lugs 1 and 2 all the time. The 3rd lug goes to the house Panel - DC fuse panel inside the coach and is tied with the wire coming from the Converter. When shore power is on, the converter sends DC power to all and I have power at the box under the hood on the 3rd lug. When shore power is disconnected I have no power on the 3rd lug. I do still have DC power on lugs 1 and 2 constantly. Off hand I’m not sure it should have power on both lugs, I mean what is the point of the relay? Could this be back fed somehow? Not sure that is a problem but just seems odd.

I’m not sure which one in this box is the switch, relay, or fuse that is giving me the trouble. The diagram on the panel door is not very helpful and the box is really hard to get access to tell what is what.

Any suggestions for what I do next, I have eaten and entire bag of Smarties and I still can’t seem to figure out the trouble! (I think my bag was defective!)

Thanks
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Junction Box under hood.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	9687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Panel under hood 2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	9688  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum