Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #77
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance

The same goes for lithium batteries. There is no way a mass-produced OEM system with roughly 10 kWh of capacity should end up priced at $30k (retail). Not when we consider they eliminate the cost of the Onan.
The Tesla 85 KWHr battery has 7104 18650 size cells that have around 12 WHr each.

Panasonic 18650 cells are $4 apiece and they each have 10WHr. 10KW/10 x $4= $4,000. Tesla uses around 7,000 18650 cells and the cost at $4/cell amounts to $28,000 which sounds about right. A 10 KWh should cost around $4,000-$5000. I would hope that the retail cost should be less than $8,000. It's just my guess based on very little known data.

The Chevy Volt battery uses it's own structure including coolant channels to cool or warm the battery, adding to it's cost. I think it is a 14 KWhr battery.
Tesla is getting close to the magical $100/kWh price point--I know at this point they are below $200 now.

The latest incarnation of the Volt has an 18.4 kWh battery and the Bolt has a 57kWh battery (even though Chevy has it spec'd for 60kWh).

Both the Volt and Bolt use prismatic cells which are larger than the small cells Tesla uses (and thus they have fewer of them).

The Bolt has a cooling plate that the batteries are mounted to--a much easier manufacturing method than Tesla's snaking the coolant tubes around the batteries.

For more info see this video:
https://insideevs.com/watch-chevy-bo...-1-hour-video/

Given time auto manufacturers will take a ton of cost out of batteries...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum